Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Different Kind of Sunday Funday

This past Sunday I picked up a shift to Bartend at Irish Times and as I got there, a whole film crew was just finishing up for the day.  And before they had even gotten all their equipment out of the bar, I had customers in to watch the LA Kings Game!  It ended up being a really fun Sunday; since it's Spring, Softball has started, so a bunch of teams came in together and ordered drinks and food, thankfully, all staggered, but kept me busy all day long!  I even had a Saint's visitor, and of course, Hell Fires & Baby Dragons were to be had...long live The Baby Dragon :)
  
A regular I see at Gabe's for Karaoke was in and actually asked me a really interesting question, what do I like better, Bartending or Hosting Karaoke?  I wasn't quite sure how to answer because I really enjoy doing both.  Right now, Bartending is sporadic, but I really miss it when I'm not doing it.  When I was working at Cabo, I was so unhappy, but when I was at Saint's, it was by far one of the best jobs I've ever had!  To top it all off, Bartending is great money and most of the time, doesn't even feel like work because when you're busy and having fun the time just flies by.  On the other hand, Karaoke is practicing my career and my craft even though I don't pursue singing; it keeps me on my toes and is always fun and exciting to sing and perform.  Do I miss the late hours when you're Bartending and working until 3 am, probably not.  But I miss the job itself terribly and will be really happy when I have a steady Bartending job sometime soon.

After I was done with work at Irish Times I headed up to North Hollywood for Dale & Thi's Game Night.  Thi's leaving for New York in a couple weeks so we all wanted to get together before she left.  We usually have Game Nights every couple of months and it had been a while since our last.  The first game of the night was Balderdash.  I had never played and we had walked in just after they started so we joined in and it was actually a lot of fun.  There were a lot of laughs but also a lot of distractions and it was taking forever to finish a round...before we knew it, it was 2 hours later and we hadn't even gotten half-way through the game.  After working an 8 hour day at the bar I was really exhausted but wanted to make sure I could spend some time with Thi before she left since I'm going back to Wisconsin next week.  I'm sure I was probably a little cranky.  Cranium was up next but we had so many people we had to split into 3 teams and things just got kind of messy...too many people to focus on the game and I felt like there were just way too many distractions to even have fun.  I wouldn't say I'm super competitive; I like to have fun, and at the end of the day, it's just a game, and no one is going to remember who won 5 years down the road, but someone has to know the rules of the game and keep everyone on task.  We probably should have just spent the night socializing or playing drinking games ;)  The cool thing about Cranium and the group we had is that everyone is super creative as most of us are actors or in the entertainment industry so we all do get involved and excited about the categories, whether it be whistling a song, doing charades, or drawing with your eyes closed, and even the word categories are fun.  I love spelling backwards, but I'm a nerd.  The last game before everyone went their separate ways was Celebrity; where everyone writes 5 names down that are known celebrities and then there are 3 rounds where you act out and talk about the person, then on the 2nd round can only give a 1 word clue, and the last round is charades.  I had never played before but again we split into 2 teams and that game was definitely faster-paced.  We'll have to remember that one for next time!

Time flies when you're at Game Night and before you know it, it's 3 am...so to bed it was, after a very long and eventful Sunday Funday.

No comments:

Post a Comment