Saturday, December 15, 2012

Retro, Musical, and Unique Songs for Karaoke!

Rain in LA didn't stop friends from coming out for Karaoke on Wednesday night at Gabe's!  It had been dreary for a couple of days and even now that the sun is out, it has been very cold in LA.  When it goes below 50 degrees, it's a cold day, and it actually feels blustery here...almost to the point where I want to turn the heat on!  What am I going to do when I go home to Wisconsin next week and have to deal with the snow?!?  Thank goodness I will be packing for Winter with long-sleeves, boots, and heavy jackets!

We had quite the busy night at Wednesday Karaoke as some of our regulars were singing as well as friends that came from the Valley to join in on the fun!  One of my favorite things about Gabe's is that it's always decorated no matter what the season and it was a full-on Holiday with Icicle lights, a beautiful Christmas tree, Garland, and little singing munchkins.  I got the night started with 'Redneck Woman' since she keeps her Christmas Lights up on her front porch all year long ;)  Spark and Jared showed up next, while Marty arrived before I got there and he was just itching to sing for everyone!  Art gave 'Cruisin' a new style performing with one of the regulars but brought back his awesome rendition of 'Goldfinger' before he left for the night!  Then Judy, Jamie, and Sean came and Neil showed up after his screening so we had the whole crew ready for an awesome night!  Spark's first song of the night was 'Walking in Memphis' as he wanted to warm-up his vocal cords for an excellent night of Karaoke while Marty warmed up with 'Every Rose Has Its Thorn.'  Jamie started her night with 'Stay' by Lisa Loeb which she hasn't sang in a while and Sean also did a song we haven't heard in a long time, singing 'Faithfully' while I helped him out with the final high notes!  I love that everyone was bringing back songs they used to sing and Neil followed suit by doing 'Why Georgia Why.'  It had been a while since I sang 'Oh Darling' but apparently another Karaoke singer really wanted to sing it as she stood in front of me singing louder than I was using a microphone but what are you going to do?!

Next up it was new songs for all so Jamie and Spark did a great duet of 'Suddenly Seymour' and Jamie and I did our duet of 'Take Me Or Leave Me' from "Rent," which wasn't the only "Rent" song of the night but I'll get to that later.  Marty's new song of the night was 'Tainted Love' and he gets the award for best song choices of the evening because every song he sang, he had the entire crowd singing along!  Some guys that come into Karaoke on occasion brought the Country and Rap singing Garth Brooks, 'Friends in Low Places' and Sir Mix-A-Lots 'Baby Got Back.'  Spark did another new song, singing 'With or Without You' which is one of his favorite songs while my new song of the night was Carly Rae Jepson's 'Call Me Maybe.'  It was a fun song to sing but it might be the only time I sing it unless requested even though everyone was singing along to it.  Jared who was moonlighting as Fun Size for the night, sang and also danced to 'My Girl' with the lovely Jessica and had a Photo-Worthy dip at the end of the song!  Along with our new songs, and old school songs, it was a Musical-Themed kind of night as Neil's new song was 'This is the Moment' from "Jekyll and Hyde."  It's an incredibly difficult song because of the range and the high notes but Neil did it justice singing with power as well as restraint.

As we were rounding the end of the night we all played into some of our favorites with Jamie singing 'Alone' and then closing out her set with Adele's 'Someone Like You.'  Marty once again got the crowd involved doing 'More Than Words,' and Judy sang my personal favorite song for herself, 'Walking After Midnight' and then did a duet with Foxy, singing some Sonny and Cher.  I hadn't sang 'Gravity' by Sara Bareilles in a long time so I decided Wednesday was the night and I think it was my best performance of it yet, at least according to Jamie and Neil.  As the night came to a close, Neil and I finished up with 'Another Day' from "Rent" since that Musical reminds me of Christmas and he won't be here for Christmas Karaoke next week!

We all had a great night hanging out, singing songs, having a couple shots, and enjoying the Christmas decorations!  I'm hoping we get some Holiday songs next week and I'm going to have to up my game and learn some new stuff to keep the standard favorites for new singers that night!  Next week will be the final Karaoke night of new music for a whole year and I'm hoping I'll have a new song next week and I'll have kept true to my New Year's Resolution :)

No comments:

Post a Comment