Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Classic Movies

I can't believe it's already December!  It feels like it was just Halloween and before that, that it was still Summer and Hurricane Harbor season, and before that Springtime in LA, but alas, the Holiday's are upon us, and that means Christmas shopping, Hot Chocolate, time with Family and plenty of traveling.  I've been busy with work lately and on my nights off I've been watching classic movies!

Classic Birthday Princess on my 26th Birthday
A couple weeks ago I saw 'The Princess Bride' for the first time ever!  I have to admit Cary Elwes was very handsome at that time and perfect to play the Prince.  I read the book a long time ago and wasn't all that into it and as I watched the movie, I kind of felt the same way.  Perhaps I just wasn't in the right mood for it, but it reminded me of 'Labyrinth' which is also a classic Fantasy movie and one I watched so many times as a child and that I fell in love with.  I loved it so much as a kid that I recorded the music onto a tape so I could listen to it when I didn't have the VHS Tape rented from the Library.  My cousin, Katie, and I used to joke about who was going to marry David Bowie, because he was so good-looking.  Apparently, I l still like my guys wearing make-up and tight pants ;)  Just kidding!  But I still enjoy watching that movie even today, and consider it one of my favorite's!  I'll give 'The Princess Bride' another shot, and maybe this year with Katie's kids because they're just about the age when I first saw 'Labyrinth!'

Last week, I watched 'Gone With the Wind' for the first time in about 10 years since I saw it when I was recovering from getting my tonsils taken out.  I was on Percocet at the time so I don't remember it all that much, just that there was a lot about the war, but I didn't realize how brilliant the story was.  The movie was on AMC over the Thanksgiving weekend and as I watched the movie this time around I actually really enjoyed it; everything from the beautiful costumes and dresses that Scarlett wore (especially the famous and gorgeous red dress she wore to the Birthday Party), to the relationships between everyone in the movie, and the storyline.  It killed me to see Scarlett in love with Ashley when he never loved anyone but Melanie and Rhett loved her the entire time.  Of course, I was sad to see the movie end without the love story, but happy to see a strong female character.  I love watching movies like this and then reading the Trivia Facts on IMDB and finding out interesting facts...yes, I'm a nerd.  I am actually looking forward to watching this movie again in the near future to pick up more of it the next time around!

Tonight I watched 'Lady and the Tramp' and didn't realize this movie was released in 1955 and had some of the same voices from 'Sleeping Beauty' which is my favorite Disney movie.  I haven't seen this movie in a long time but I remembered thinking how cute Lady was as a puppy and was reminded of that in the opening 10 minutes of the movie.  It actually makes me really sad to think about how animals feel when someone's not around, or when a couple has a baby, do dogs really notice it and feel left out?  And I hate those darn Siamese cats...perhaps that's why cats are still not my cup of tea, even today.  My whole life growing up, my family has had Cocker Spaniel's and they're such pretty dogs.  This is definitely a classic Disney movie worth seeing again!

Now, if only there was snow outside on the ground and I was snuggled up in a blanket with a fire going, this would be the perfect December day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment