Sunday, December 16, 2012

What's for Dinner? Part 11.

I made this quick and easy recipe the other day when I was having a relaxing evening in before a busy work week and after my awesome weekend with the Boyce Avenue Concert and Bar Lubitsch Holiday Party!

Four Cheese Rice, Sausage, and Veggie Casserole
1 Box Four Cheese Rice
(2 1/4 Cup Water and 2 Tbsp Butter or Margarine)
1 Apple & Maple Sausage
1 Cup Veggies of your Choice (I did Corn & Carrots)
A sprinkle of Cheese
Cooking Spray

This recipe is very simple, just follow the preparation steps on the box of Rice, adding in water and margarine.  While I was waiting for my water to come to a boil I sauteed the chopped sausage in a pan that I had sprayed with some Olive Oil and as soon as that water was boiling I added the sausage in, lowered the temp on the burner and covered the dish.  I usually cook the rice for about 15 minutes and during the last 5 minutes I added in my frozen vegetables.  Once the 15 minutes were up I moved the dish from the burner, added in the special seasonings (from the Rice preparation), stirred it up and let it cool for a couple minutes.  Once it was cooled I added some Mozarella Cheese right on top of the Casserole.

It was definitely comfort food without all the fat or wasted calories which is always a plus.  The one thing I loved was that the rice took on the flavor of the sausage so it had a hint of sweetness to it, since the sausage continued to cook with the rice for 15 minutes.  It was an easy recipe and perfect for a night in while watching DVR'd TV :)

No comments:

Post a Comment