Friday, July 4, 2014

Karaoke in the 90's & some Girl Power...

I figured yesterday at Karaoke would have been slow because 4th of July landed on a Friday this year and every other year I've Hosted Karaoke it's been really slow during the week of the 4th.  I think people are usually just saving themselves for the 4th Festivities but that wasn't the case yesterday.  In fact, the past two weeks swapped and two weeks ago was really slow with just a few people in the rotation and everyone getting a chance to sing a bunch!

Last week at Karaoke I had my own little 90's theme going and started the night with Jewel's 'Who Will Save Your Soul' one of my favorites that I hadn't sang in a while as I like her slower songs more but this is still a good one.  Next up it was 'Bitch' by Meredith Brooks that I followed up with 'Heart-Shaped Box' by Nirvana.  It's a lot of fun to change up the artists and genres and I hope it inspires people to try new songs and music because it just makes the Karaoke experience more exciting and challenging.  Another couple songs I hadn't sang in a while were Joan Osborne's 'One Of Us' and The Beatles 'Oh Darlin' which wasn't a 90's but I gave it that rock/alternative feel.  It was time for my new song of the night so I did 'Crush' by Jennifer Paige since Gail sang it a couple weeks ago and I remembered how much I loved the song.  It's not my favorite Karaoke song but it was new and nice to try!  It was a little duet of Justin Timberlake and Ciara with their song 'Love+Sex+Magic' which I sang back at Halloween this past year and was reminded why I haven't sang it since.  It's really hard!  I closed out the night with 'Try Again' by Aaliyah since I had worn some old school Adidas kicks :)  

One would think by coming into Gabe's this week for Karaoke I was going through a horrible break-up, I hated men, or something worse, but that wasn't the case at all.  This week was all about singing songs I hadn't sang in a while, new songs added to my History and of course, my new song of the night.  I opened with 'I Hate Myself For Loving You' by Joan Jett which I actually recorded in a studio years ago when a friend of mine and I were working on creating a new rock female group.  I actually have one of our songs up on my Myspace Page, and to be honest, I really liked the song, along with the others we recorded but unfortunately, that venture ended rather abruptly.  I'd love to do something like that again!  Continuing on for Karaoke, my next song was 'Missing You' by John Waite, and my new song of the night was Destiny's Child 'Survivor.'  Wow is that song wordy and difficult; I can see why they need all three females singing that song because it's so quick and if you don't know all the lyrics, you're going to miss it.  Lucky for me, I had practiced this one a couple weeks ago so I was prepped for it, and had a lot of fun with it.  Even if I was exhausted at the end ;)  It was a Heart super-set and my song was 'If Looks Could Kill' and Diana had me sing 'What About Love' with her so she could harmonize on the high parts in that song.  To close out the night I sang 'Keep Me Hanging On' by Kim Wilde, another strong female song! 

There were lots of songs last week and I was glad to take a little break from singing this week by just doing a few songs.  It's good to mix things up, and my acting even comes to play at Karaoke when I have a week like I did, just this past Wednesday.  We always have a good time!  Things will be back to normal next week and hopefully everyone has a safe and wonderful 4th of July!

*This brings back memories: 'Hurt Ya Just A Little' Song on Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment