Sunday, July 20, 2014

Summer Karaoke!

It's been a little bit more busy at Karaoke lately which has been a pleasant surprise since that makes the night go by much faster and it's more fun to hear new people sing!

Last week I ended up having a mini-theme by singing songs with one word in the title.  I started with 'Joey' by Concrete Blonde and then did 'Wonder' by Natalie Merchant.  Both were songs I hadn't sang in a little while and I really love doing 'Joey' because it's very low and I really like the melody and changes throughout the song.  Next up was Fiona Apple's 'Criminal' and then my new song of the night was 'What's Up' by 4-Non Blondes.  That was my only two word title but I guess I tied it in considering I sang songs by artists that had Blonde in their name!  I've heard people sing that song at Karaoke before and although I'm not a huge fan of the song, people have asked me to sing it quite a few times.  I give those ladies credit because it's a difficult song and you need a lot of power behind your voice for all the 'Hey yeah, yeah yeah's...'  I closed out the night with Journey's 'Lights' since it had been several months since I sang that one and it's always a good closer!
 
With Neil at Gabe's!
This past week was really busy because there was a Movie Wrap Party going on and later we had McCracken's Going Away Karaoke Party.  I got the night going with Tracy Chapman's 'Give Me One Reason' and then there was a Bon Jovi Super-Set so I jumped in with 'Shot Through The Heart' and the crowd was happy to hear it and sing along!  In fact, the crowd was really lively and very supportive since a lot of the Wrap Party people were singing and encouraging people to do songs.  I got a little old school with 'Baby Love' by The Supremes and then it was time for the Duets & Trio's.  I sang 'Light My Candle' from "Rent" with Neil and later on McCracken and I sang the final song of the night, doing 'Another Day' from "Rent" as well.  There was even a Double Entendre performance of The Backstreet Boys 'I Want It That Way.'  Marisa and Stephen from Afterbuzz made it all the way down to Gabe's from Encino so they had to sing before the night was over!  My new song of the night since someone sang Ludacris was 'What's Your Fantasy' and McCracken and his friend, Chris backed me up.  It's my favorite Ludacris song and although it's your typical rap song, I just find it really fun and have all the verses memorized from college some random reason ;)

I've enjoyed the busy weeks and hope the Summer keeps bringing in new Karaoke singers to Gabe's!

No comments:

Post a Comment