Wednesday, July 16, 2014

What's for Dinner? Part 17.

Both of my Grandma's could always be counted on for their incredible skills in the kitchen.  Grandma Jacoby actually worked at a BBQ Restaurant and was working there on the day I was born.  My Grandma Wegner was always helping out with the cooking and baking at Church and on most Thursday's we spent our time together working through a Children's A-Z Cookbook.  They each had their own Meatloaf recipe and I have never attempted it because you can't mess with perfection.  Unfortunately, both my Grandma's have passed but I continue to try new recipes and think I got my cooking spirit from them!  I know I got the baking from my Mom, and that sincerely is an art form.  So for a Saturday night at home I made my first ever Meatloaf!

Turkey Meatloaf
1 Package (20 oz) Lean Ground Turkey
1 & 1/2 Cup Onions
3 Garlic Cloves
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Margarine
1 Tsp Rosemary
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
1 Cup Breadcrumbs
1 Egg
1/3 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
1/4 Cup Ketchup
1 & 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire
6 Dashes Tabasco 
Salt & Pepper

The Topping/Sauce
1/2 Cup Ketchup
1 & 1/2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
2 Tsp Worcestershire
4 Dashes Tabasco

Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.  Start by heating the oil and butter in a skillet and then adding in the onions and garlic until the onions are cooked through, just a few minutes.  While they are cooking add all other ingredients to a bowl, Turkey, Rosemary, Garlic Powder, Breadcrumbs (I used the crust from really high quality bread and didn't pack the cupful), Egg, Ketchup, Cheese, Worcestershire, Tabasco, plus Salt & Pepper to taste.  Once the onions have cooled add them in as well and mix together using your best tool, your hands.  When it's all mixed together put the mixture into a greased bread pan or form a loaf and place on a baking tray.  Then you can start work on the Topping or Sauce.  Mix all the ingredients together, Ketchup, Brown Sugar, Worcestershire, and Tabasco and then spread over the top of the Meatloaf.  I covered my Meatloaf with foil but it's really just personal preference.  Place the bread pan on the middle rack in your oven for 50-60 minutes or until the Meatloaf is cooked all the way through.  Once the Meatloaf is done let it sit for five minutes before serving.
My FIRST Turkey Meatloaf...had to go for seconds!!
It was a little challenging to get it out of the bread pan but the Meatloaf was so tender and moist, it was practically falling apart.  Once I got the first couple pieces out, it made it easier to get a couple more and there was no more falling apart.  I served it with Mashed Potatoes and my Lemon Asparagus.  The Meatloaf was delicious; it was really flavorful, you got a hint of heat with the Tabasco and I loved the taste of the rosemary.  The sauce on top was probably my favorite part; tangy and sweet, once again with a little kick from the Tabasco.  I wanted more sauce with every bite!

Cooking is experimenting and it just takes practice.  I had talked to my Mom earlier to make sure I had the basic ingredients and proper cooking temperature and time.  Everything else was just added as I went, and what I had available in my kitchen.  Since I'm a cheese lover I thought I would add that in for some extra gooey-ness and it was a fun addition.  I'm looking forward to making this the next time my family is in town and hopefully I'll make them proud :)

No comments:

Post a Comment