Thursday, August 7, 2014

Playing Esmerelda for 'The Princess Luau'

Creating Arts Company presented 'The Princess Luau' at the end of July at The Miles Playhouse.  It was a quick rehearsal period and I was working on most of our rehearsal nights so I just had one day with the entire cast until our dress rehearsal the night before the show.  Thankfully, there was a lot we could do on our own and we had learned our blocking and most of the choreography on our first rehearsal and a lot of the show could be improv and interacting with the children.

My Esmerelda Costume :)
This was my second 'Princess Show' with Creating Arts and it was a smaller cast but bigger venue.  I was playing Esmerelda from 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame' and even though I wasn't as recognizable as the other Princesses, as soon as I talked to the children, they had said they'd go home and watch the movie, or that I became their favorite.  Even if that wasn't true, I did appreciate their honesty and little girls (and some little boys) just love the Princesses no matter what!

Most of the songs were Tropical themed, like 'Surfing Safari,' 'Tiki Tiki Tiki Room,' 'Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride,' 'Aloha Oe,' and we all had solos throughout the show.  We had 10 songs to learn plus some Hawaiian so it was definitely a quick turn-around to be prepped and ready in less than a week!  Since there were only six of us we really needed to bring the energy and by the time we were done I know we had made the kids' day.  Because we interact with the children throughout the show, entering from the house, or getting up into the seats when we're singing and encouraging the kids to come down and dance and sing with us, the energy is through the roof!  I'm sure they nap really well when they get home too...nice idea Mom's & Dad's!  As soon as we give them free reign to come down and dance, they all take advantage of it, hugging all of us, talking to us, and singing along.  It's amazing to see them so excited to just be a part of the show.  Of course, as soon as the show is over it's literally a mad house of kids wanting to talk about our characters, what we like to do, (Esmerelda loves to dance, and enjoys eating in cafe's all over Paris), and I actually got to sing a bunch of autographs!

It's amazing how quickly that hour goes by while we're performing and before we know it, we're done.  We had two shows, just one each on Saturday and Sunday.  I've definitely started to recognize children and parents who are repeat guests of Creating Arts and I really love that.  There's still one girl out there who recognizes me from when I was The Wicked Witch in Wizard of Oz.  It blows my mind how smart these little ones are and how special they make you feel!  I've said it before and I'm going to continue saying it, when a child runs up to hug you and just grabs you with everything they have, it literally takes my breath away and there is no possible way to stop smiling after that happens!
Aloha from Elsa, Rapunzel, Esmerelda, Belle, Anna, and Jasmine!
I'm really looking forward to our next Princess Show which will be at the end of August, this time with the Princes, and hopefully I'll get to play a different character!  Now, I couldn't end this blog without saying Aloha...buh bye ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment