Monday, August 11, 2014

Summer Karaoke!

As Summer has been winding down, Karaoke has also been a little bit less busy than it has in the past few weeks.  During the month of July it had picked up around 4th of July but the last two weeks in July were really slow and everyone has been able to sing a bunch.  I was prepping my songs for 'The Princess Luau' so I didn't mind and the Karaoke regulars are always happy when they get to sing all night long without interruption.

A few weeks ago I opened with Pat Benatar's 'Hit Me With Your Best Shot' as that used to be my go-to to get Karaoke started and it's been a long time since I sang that song.  Next up I did 'Missing You' by John Waite and then since it was really quiet and I knew it wouldn't matter if I had messed it up, I did 'Surfin' Safari' by The Beach Boys.  It was my new song of the night and I had to sing it for 'The Princess Luau' so it was good practice since we opened a couple days after that.  I brought it back to the 90's with 'Listen To Your Heart' by Roxette and then changed to some country doing Shania Twain's 'Any Man Of Mine.'  I really enjoy doing Natalie Merchant songs since she's right in my range and it had been a while since I sang 'Jealousy' so I closed out the night with that.
Singing & Hosting Karaoke at Gabe's on my Birthday in June!

Two weeks ago I opened with Three Doors Down 'When I'm Gone' and I just heard them on the radio and I was once again reminded of how incredible they are live!  Another song that I hadn't sang in months was 'Mr. Jones' by The Counting Crows and the crowd usually enjoys hearing that song.  There was a couple that was celebrating their 10 Year Anniversary and they go out for Karaoke every Anniversary so she requested I sing 'Wing Beneath My Wings' by Bette Midler.  I had never sang that song before, so it was my new one for the night, and it was really hard to get through that song.  I've never seen Beaches all the way through but know that song is in the movie, and the lyrics are so beautiful and heart-felt; I think I did the song justice and the couple was very happy :)  Last week I had heard someone sing 'Because The Night' by 10,000 Maniacs, which is one of my favorite songs to sing, and I literally couldn't remember the last time I sang that, so that was my next song.  I followed that with Cher's 'I Found Someone.'  Since some younger Karaoke regulars were in I did 'Stuck' by Stacy Orrico, which both of them remembered and then sang Richard Marx's 'Should've Known Better' since I sang it on my Birthday and don't completely remember it that well...oops!  Since Aerosmith was playing at The Forum that night, my last song went out to them, so I did 'Cryin' one of my favorite Aerosmith songs.

Clearly, it had been really slow that night two weeks ago because I sang so much to fill the space and time, and also to try to get more people up and singing.  Lucky for me, there's always a crew of regulars that show up nearly every week so I can still count on someone to keep the night going with me!

*As stated before, my blog is mainly dedicated to anything entertainment or career-related, whether it be Acting, Hosting, Singing, or Modeling, sometimes even Bartending.  In keeping this blog as creative as possible, I like to add the things that spark creativity, whether it be a great movie, or book I read, and also singing Karaoke, and just keeping myself in performer-mode.  I'm not sure how many people actually read my Karaoke blogs (maybe my Mom...Hi Mom!) but I'm going to try to switch the Karaoke blog format up so that it's more interesting (hopefully) and just less to read.  At the very least, if anyone out there is reading these Karaoke blogs, I hope you go out and Karaoke, and I can give you some ideas for songs, or give you the confidence to try new songs when you're singing, and to have fun with it!  If there are any suggestions you have for me, I am more than open to hearing them!*

Thanks for reading and joining me on this journey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment