Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Blue Apron is Back!

I started up with Blue Apron again in July!  It's always so exciting to get the delivery and decide when I'm going to cook which dish.  I usually save the best for last, and in this case, that was the gnocchi.  I had my first shrimp dish and always do a chicken dish which never ceases to disappoint

I usually try to make the dishes with protein in them first since sometimes it'll take me nearly 10 days to make all three meals.  Sometimes I don't have time to make one of them, so I do something more simple, and other times I like to save them for a special occasion when I know I'm having company!  This time around I did the Sweet Chili Chicken with Coconut Rice.  I really need to start making more Asian-inspired food because I'm always so happy with the results and love the flavors.  This one felt really simple, was healthy, and anything that has ginger in it, sells me!  
Dinner is served :)
For the next week I did the Spiced Shrimp with Pearl Couscous.  This one left me feeling disappointed.  You'd think with the spice and other flavors it would be really exciting but it wasn't, it was actually kind of boring.  I would do this again but perhaps do a curry and simmer the Shrimp in some butter and garlic for extra flavor.  Which brings me back to the Gnocchi with Brown Butter, Almonds and Squash.  This was a flavor explosion, the lemon added brightness, the almonds and brown butter brought a nice nutty flavor, and everything worked together seamlessly including the soft-boiled egg.  This is something I will make again for sure!

So the fourth photo was a dish I came up with on my own.  I've been on a Brown Rice & Avocado kick (thanks Ash), so I wanted to kick it up a notch with my favorite maple apple chicken sausage, a bunch of vegetables from my friend Aimee's Mom's garden, and a little red curry.  This was another really healthy meal that was filling, something new for me to try out in the kitchen, and had a nice kick with the spicy curry and added jalapenos.  It's also something that you could throw together with whatever vegetables or protein you have and switch it up.

I really enjoy cooking and Blue Apron makes you feel like a home chef.  The awesome step-by-step instructions include pictures and even people who aren't as comfortable in the kitchen can feel great about their culinary skills!  Plus, you can pick and choose which meals you want; so for weeks at a time I skip delivery's because I'm too busy, don't love the menu, or have set plans already and won't be able to get to make meals that week.  I think you can get your first delivery free and nowadays there's also discounts on Groupon!  

If anyone out there is trying it, feel free to share your experience or pictures with me!  I always post my photos on Instagram so feel free to give me a follow or say hello :)  Lyndsey on Instagram  Happy Experimenting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment