Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Labor Day Weekend

To me, Labor Day, is just your normal average day, no different than any other day during the year that isn't an actual Holiday, but this year I had lots to look forward to!

First off, I cannot describe how excited I am for the first Football Game of the Regular Season tomorrow night!  Let me preface that by adding that I finally had my Fantasy Football Draft this past Sunday.  Last year I had Aaron Rodgers as my starting quarterback and was hoping I would be able to get him, but knowing how many points he's projecting, I knew that would be highly unlikely unless I had a first or second draft pick.  Usually the Running Backs go first and then perhaps on a second round pick you draft your quarterback.  Well, this year, Aaron Rodgers was the first to go, and the first to go in all my friend's Drafts and Mock Drafts!  I was devastated.  But I was ok because I got Darren McFadden, a decent running back, where last year, my running backs were hit or miss.  I ended up with Welker again, (he scored me lots of points last year) Jordy Nelson because I had to have a Packer, and Jimmy Graham who should all score me big points.  Overall, I have a pretty good team, and aside from having the biggest crybaby in Football as my Quarterback, I'm happy with my picks!  Yes, I don't like Eli Manning, but he will hopefully bring a lot of points for my team because he has great receivers and a great defense, not to mention won the Superbowl last year.  So now we'll see how well my team does this week and I'll report back!

Of course, no Labor Day is complete without wearing white at least one more time, and for me, that means the only time that I wore white pants all year!  Why don't I take advantage of that during the season when it's acceptable?!?!

Andre Ethier!
After recovering from a fun night with friends on Sunday night after an awesome BBQ, Monday brought the Dodger Game.  It was $1 Dodger Dog Night so everyone should have known where to find me...at Dodger Stadium!  Neil got us tickets to the game and when we got there I couldn't believe how awesome our seats were.  I've been to a few Dodger games in my time and these were probably my favorite seats of all time.  Not only were they front row in Right Field but there were directly behind Andre Ethier, my favorite Baseball player for the past 6 years!  I knew we would be sitting close to him, but I didn't realize how close until I was leaning on the edge of the field's foam cover, just 20 feet from Andre!  As he was walking out to his fielding position I caught his eye, and yelled, 'Andre' and showed him my Ethier shirt and Neil gestured 'signing it' and he nodded and made a yes gesture and as he turned back to the field I jumped up and down and did a little dance.  I couldn't believe I was going to get his autograph and meet him.  As each inning went by, we made eye contact and I was waiting for the 7th inning stretch or end of the game so he could sign it for me.  In the meanwhile, Neil and I each had 2 Dodger Dogs, a couple of beers, a Frozen Lemonade which is one of my favorite Dodger treats and a fairly slow game.  Some high points were seeing Magic Johnson and Tom Hanks at the game; although, they were alone.  Don't you spend the day with your kids BBQ'ing, or better yet, bring them to the game!  At the 9th inning, Dodgers were losing by one but then Ethier hit a Home Run to tie the game!  When he came back out to the field I yelled, 'Nice Home Run, way to tie it, Andre!'  Then as the game went into extra innings and the Dodgers went on to win it, I realized, he wasn't coming back out to the stands and my excitement of meeting him was dismissed by one of the security people saying you have to get autographs before the game during Batting Practice.  I guess it was wishful thinking on my part that he'd come back out, but he didn't know I was a fan before there were even shirts with his name on it, so I'll have to come back again.  And with seats like that, you're going to have to try and stop me!
A perfect 90 degree Labor Day at Dodger Stadium with amazing seats in Right Field!
Overall, Labor Day Weekend was pretty exciting...lots of BBQ, lots of fun, lots of laughs, and plenty of sports.  That's just the way I like it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment