Friday, September 28, 2012

The Seven Year Itch & Sinatra

I saw my first play since I moved to LA last weekend.  It's been nearly 7 years since I've seen some theater and boy have I missed it.  I've seen a bunch of different concerts at different venues all over LA but haven't caught any plays, even though I've auditioned for them, so I was really excited to see 'Angry Conversations with God' with Khad who had gotten tickets for us and was looking forward to this for a month!

The play was at a small theater in Studio City that held just over 50 people.  It was first-come seating so since there were 3 of us, (Kelly included) we had to sit in the back because they were the only open seats together.  The play got started just a couple minutes late and I guess I didn't realize that it was a one-woman show.  I had never seen something like this, aside from stand-up, and this was far from stand-up, although it was comedic.  The woman was really good and I had to give her props because she performed an hour and a half show and had people laughing and clapping throughout with a standing ovation at the end.  The show wasn't all about God per-say, basically it opened with a situation where she felt frustrated with life, and she then went back and took us through her life and experiences, with and without God and how that affected her.  My only frustration was that at times, things were so organic and very heart-felt, and then at other times, I felt the story was being exaggerated, and it wasn't as natural.  I wanted to see her, telling her story, being herself, and she didn't need to push for comedy because she had natural talent and ability.  She's been doing this show for years and overall, she had a great performance and clearly has a big following so it was awesome to see that.

Another great part about the show was going to get gourmet Popsicles after at Suck It Sweets.  Yes, that was the real name of the Popsicle shop.  They had Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana, Watermelon, Key Lime Pie, Strawberry Nutella (which I ordered and was delicious) and Dill Pickle which Khad and Kelly ordered and decided was just too salty and tasted too much like Pickle to really enjoy.  I didn't need to try it to figure out I'd probably feel the same way, but what a neat idea and concept!

At Karaoke this week we started with 2 rotations of Frank Sinatra.  There were two guys that started it all, one that sounded just like Sinatra, and another that was a really good singer and had a very eclectic choice in songs.  I did 'Don't Get Around Much Anymore' by Ella Fitzgerald that Sinatra did cover so I kept up with the rotation even though I had never sang that version, but it was very sultry and fun.  Even Marcus and Art were keeping up with the theme and it was awesome to see a bunch of people just coming into the bar to sing, enjoying the idea and challenge of doing a Sinatra song.  After that everyone switched over and did other songs.  I was happy to have Khad in and singing 'Bad Bad Leroy Brown' because it had been a while since he sang that and Jamie's new song of the night was 'Always Be My Baby' along with one of her favorites, 'Perfect' by Alanis Morissette which was perfect :)  My new song of the night was 'Insensitive' by Jann Arden which I haven't heard in a long time, and I gave it a slight country spin so that was fun.  Debbie came in and started the dance party singing Rihanna first and then Gloria Estefan's 'Turn The Beat Around.'  Jamie and I closed out the night with songs from 'Les Miserables.'  Jamie did 'On My Own' and it was beautiful because she can hit all those high notes and hold the notes like no other.  I did 'I Dreamed A Dream' which I haven't done since March, and felt much more confident than I did 6 months ago.  I was able to hit the high notes and I think that's because I've only been Hosting Karaoke once a week with my new job and training at Bar Lubitsch and that gives my voice a chance to rest between Hosting.  

Overall, it was a really fun night with new songs and I'm looking forward to our first real Theme Night coming to you soon!  And I'm hoping, it won't be 7 more years before I see a play or some theater, because I realized how much I missed it, and how much I enjoy it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment