Sunday, August 19, 2012

Eye-Opening Shows

It's Sunday which means it's my day to take a nice long walk around my neighborhood...today was no different than any other Sunday other than it was 85 degrees outside and we are going through a major heat-wave here in California and I believe there's been record-breaking temperatures all over the US!  Needless to say, it was really hot outside and while I know it's good for me to get outside, do a little exercise, and enjoy the sun, I was happy when I was back at my apartment an hour later.

This week has been pretty busy with Jury Duty, work, and spending time with friends so I was looking forward to a low-key Sunday afternoon.  I was flipping through the channels and saw there was a new episode of 'Intervention' on A&E.  I only caught the last 10 minutes or so but rather than changing the channel I kept it on because I got totally wrapped into this show called 'Beyond Scared Straight.' 

I'm a fan of 'Intervention' because it's one of the few shows that can make me laugh, cry, and feel positive in my life, all in one show.  That show tugs at my heart strings when I see the pain an addict causes to his family and friends, and how they just want him or her to get the necessary help to create a better life for themselves.  There's been many a time where I've wanted to help out at a counseling or rehab center to be a positive influence on someone's life but I've also realized as I've gotten older that you can't change anyone; they have to want to change for themselves, they have to want to be better, and seek help on their own when he or she is ready.  Their family needs to support them when they are ready and help in any way they can but they can't enable them during the process or be a significant part of their life when they're causing trouble or going through an addiction.  I can't imagine how difficult it must be to walk away for the betterment of helping someone, afraid that they may hurt themselves or die or be killed because of their choices, and the guilt that a mother or father could hold because of this, but what's better, watching them slowly kill themselves or pushing them to be better and find someone to help them work through their issues and be a positive force in their life?  Even though every story doesn't have a happy ending it's the ones that do that show it is possible and everyone can find their happiness.

This show 'Beyond Scared Straight' introduces a few kids that are At-Risk or causing trouble while they are minors, whether it's stealing, drugs, assault, or tagging, and taking them to a prison to see what life is like behind bars.  These kids come out, cocky as all get out, and after going through a pat-down and meeting a few inmates who are helping to run this program, suddenly become silent and respectful.  The inmates introduce themselves, why they are in prison, some are spending the rest of their lives there, while others are eligible for parole 50 years from now, and would rather die in prison than spend their life living there.  I think it's a humbling experience for these kids to see what it's really like behind bars and if they continue to follow the path they are choosing by committing crimes they could end up like one of the inmates.  An interesting fact I didn't know about California is that there is a 3-Strike Rule, which means, no matter what you do, on your third strike, you will go to jail and they will try to get you the longest sentence without any regard to what you're doing.  They walk through the showers, finding out that 10 guys are all shower at the same time and are designated to certain shower heads by race or hometown, and at Christmas time a year ago, one guy came in and killed 9 guys because he couldn't handle being alone for his first Christmas.  You aren't guaranteed a day when you're in prison, and a lot of people try to commit suicide because they'd rather be dead than spend their life in jail.  I think one of the most interesting things about the show was how adamant the inmates were about helping these kids and making them realize what their life will be like, and if they can even help one person, they've done something that they can be proud of.  The show ends with an update on all the kids, and in the episode I watched, all of them had made advances in school, had jobs, were trying to get ready for college, and had quit all the criminal activity.  Even though it's hard to watch this show sends a great message to kids and families to take time and make sure you're spending quality time with your children, support and love them, communicate with them, and give them positive role models to look up to, and it allows them to see what their life could be like if they make even one bad decision.  I think this show definitely helps kids see the negative effects of crime versus the positive and exciting aspect of it and at the very least, it's a completely different perspective than they're probably used to.

So, now that I've had an emotional hour I think it's time to watch something positive.  How about some Joey time, and a little Joey Special called Two Pizza's!!  I'll be there for you, my 'Friends.'

No comments:

Post a Comment