Saturday, August 11, 2012

Letting my Hair do the talking...

On Thursday evening, after I got home from work at Irish Times, I was going through my Castings and saw that I had a Hair Audition in Woodland Hills on Friday morning!  This was a job that could be working this weekend, a month from now, or 6 months from now, so it was a great opportunity to meet with this stylist and teacher.  

My favorite Great Hair Headshot :)
*Let me give you a little back story about my issues with my hair...I remember when I was younger in my grade school and middle school days when the girls in my class would make fun of me, tease and laugh at me.  My hair was one of their issues with me, and the butt of their jokes.  They would say I had terrible hair, and should shave my head, because I would be better off bald.  Back then I would cry and it would make me wonder what was wrong and why they would say things like this.  My Mom would always tell me that they were just jealous but when you're 10 years old, it's hard to believe that; now that I'm older and understand relationships and friendships, I know my Mom was right and they were just being mean and jealous.  I had very long dark hair that was naturally wavy, was healthy and shiny.  What was so wrong with it that I should shave it off?  Nothing.  It was something that these girls knew they could pick on me for, and push me down, to make them feel better about themselves because they were bullies.  I've never held a grudge and even when I see these girls when I'm back home, I will always be polite, but I've never forgotten how they treated me, and how I will teach my children to treat everyone they meet with respect.  I make sure people in my life, even people I just meet, don't feel like outsiders, make everyone feel welcome because we all have our insecurities, we should give everyone a chance and not make a snap judgement.

Waves for my Hair Casting
So back to the Audition.  I waved my hair that morning, doing more natural make-up to let my hair do the talking at the Audition!  It's good to stand out and give Casting something to remember you by so I chose a simple bright purple dress to accompany my favorite Guess heels.  Since I had driven to Woodland Hills last week for my Fitness Audition around the same time, I knew that even on a Friday, traffic should be moving, and I was able to make it there in less than a half hour.  The big difference from Culver City to Woodland Hills was the over 25 degree temperature change; it was 75 degrees in Culver City and 102 in Woodland Hills!  I'm never one for air conditioning, but going to a casting on a day like today was a must!  It was the same place the last Hair Audition I had was at (a training salon for students), and after signing in, I took one of the remaining seats.  I was 15 minutes early and able to read a little bit of my book. Then around 10:45 (the audition time) I noticed a man, walking around, looking at every girls hair.  There were some gals walking in just then, even 5 minutes late and not wearing heels.  That was one of the main things on the Audition notice, always wear heels, and considering they wanted girls to be 5"5 I had a pair of my highest heels on!

They called about 30 of us who had signed in first, to a classroom to wait for the Teacher and his Stylist.  They were shooting videos in the next few months, and since N* had just moved here from New York he wanted to get a group of girls together to work on these videos, where he showed cut, color, updo's and styles.  We were separated into two different groups, girls who were willing to cut at least 4 inches of hair, and then girls who weren't open to major cuts, but would be willing to color or hi-light, do trims and styles.  I was in the second group and they called 8 of us forward.  N* looked at each of our hair, and flipped through mine and then asked all of us for our pictures.  They were actually filming a video this Sunday already.  I noticed I was one of a few brunettes, as most of the girls were blondes, and then a few redheads.  At both Hair Castings I've been to, they tend to lean towards the redheads because I think they're more unusual, and all the redheads had great hair so I can see why they were chosen!  After they got all of our info we were dismissed from the room.  As I walked out of the building, I saw that more girls had showed up so they still had a lot of people to see before the day was done.

Even if I don't book a hair job in the next couple of weeks, I'm sending my information and more photos to N* because he's got a ton of videos coming up in the next few months and I'd be more than happy and lucky to work with him in the future because it's all about the net-working :)

No comments:

Post a Comment