Tuesday, August 7, 2012

It's a small World...in the Bud Light World.

Last Thursday I was working at Irish Times when a group of people came into the bar because they were scouting locations for a Bud Light Commercial they were shooting.  They had come in earlier in the week but wanted to get everything finalized before the weekend.  As the Director came in and looked around, he gave me some of the details, and I made a joke that if he needed an actress for the Commercial to let me know.  He smiled and said I was in!  I laughed and said ok, and went back to some other customers.  The whole crew was there for about a half hour and before they left the Director said, you know you're in, right?  And I said ok, as one of the scouters came up to me, gave me his card, and asked for mine to contact me about the shoot.  Cool!

Fast forward to Friday morning and I got a text saying I had a call-back.  The only thing I auditioned for that week was the Fitness Video and I didn't think they were doing call-back's, so when I checked my e-mail and saw that it was for a Bud Light Commercial, I was a little confused.  After talking to my Commercial Agent, she said that it was a straight to call-back audition (yay) and that my Audition time was 5 pm.  I was going to be playing a part of a Hispanic couple.  It's so interesting because in Wisconsin I'm never called ethnic, but in LA, I'm Middle Eastern, Italian, Greek, Hispanic/Latina, etc.

I made my way to Santa Monica that evening and after finding the correct address, signed in, showed my ID (you have to be 25 or older to be in an alcohol commercial), got my sides, and then sat down.  A group went in right before me and as I read the sides, it was a pretty funny spot.  I only had 2 lines so that was great and when 2 guys got called before me, I sat waiting another few minutes when they pulled me in with them.  We were about to practice the scene when one of the Assistants came out to give us some pointers about the scene.  He said the Director was looking for very natural responses and expressions and to keep things flowing conversationally.  It's always great to get advice because it gives us a better chance to show the Director exactly what he's looking for!

When we got called into the room, I smiled at everyone and one guy looked familiar and I figured it out as he said, 'Hi Lyndsey, from Irish Times.'  Yup, it was the Director from yesterday at Irish Times, and they were doing a couple different Bud Light Commercials, and this was one of them, though it was different than the one they were filming at the bar.  It's such a small world.  After taking photos and slating, the Director gave us some ideas and then we got into the scene.  After getting through it the first time, he suggested I make a different choice with my lines, more chill, more one of the guys, so I did it that way that time around, and he had me go even further with it, saying to completely throw the line away.  After doing the scene one more time, he said he loved it and it was great.  I felt a little bad because he was focusing on me but lucky because it's not often that you get to work on a scene and really get into it.  Plus, he got to see me do it a few different ways showing I was able to take direction and give him options!  After he thanked all of us we were on our way out.

Then as I was about to leave they had me wait, and when the Assistant came back out, they were having me read again with another group of guys.  YAY!  I would get another chance to be seen and do more!  This time around I was more comfortable with everything and as our second group got started, he stopped us, saying I had the line perfect but the two yahoo's with me, messed it up, and to start again.  He was joking but I think it made us all feel a little more at ease.  On our second time the scene went amazing.  Everything flowed really naturally, it was funny, and felt easy.  He said that it was awesome but that he wanted to try it a different way and said that the 'weird guy' on our couch should be even weirder and gave him a line reading.  He also gave me a different line as my last line.  As we went through the scene this time, it didn't flow at all, everything felt off, and unfortunately, the 'weird guy' on the couch took it a little too far and slowed the scene down majorly.  When the 'weird guy' asked how it went, the Director didn't shut him down, just said that it was different but thankfully, he told me he loved my delivery of the line change.  Again, he thanked all of us and I was really done for the day.

As my group and I walked out, the 'weird guy' said he definitely wasn't going to get the job, and I disagreed saying that they all seemed to love our original run-through, and he was able to show range and do something different which shows that he can follow directions and that's always a good thing.

Overall, I felt really great about the Audition and hoped that since I had met the Director the day before at Irish Times, that it was a positive thing, and helped make me memorable!  And since I got to Audition, it gave him a chance to see me Act and prove that I would be great for the Commercial based on my talent, not just my cute face ;)  Plus, it was a Football based Commercial that was going to be airing during the NFL Season and how much fun would it be to get to wear my Aaron Rodgers Jersey for the Commercial...Go Packers!!

*I found out on Monday that they were going to be shooting at Irish Times on Wednesday, and James, my boss, congratulated me.  I asked why, and he said that they called in and told him how much they loved me and wanted me to play the 'Bartender' in the Commercial they were shooting there.  (I auditioned for a different commercial that took place in an apartment).  Sadly, it's Tuesday night, and I haven't heard anything.  It's hard to not be disappointed but I try to trust in the fact that everything will happen at the right time, and this just wasn't it.

No comments:

Post a Comment