Saturday, August 4, 2012

Pack-Rat & Hilary Duff

It's been a great week so far; I feel like I've gotten so much accomplished, auditions, grocery shopping, great work-outs, spending time with friends, Karaoke and Bartending, and more organizing!

I've been on a kick to really clean my room and get rid of a bunch of stuff I don't wear, or use anymore, and have to question why I'm holding onto some of these things.  Empty boxes that have sat in the same place for years, when I could have gotten rid of them years ago, and now I tackled the magazines that have been sitting in my closet since I moved into this apartment 3 years ago.  They've piled up over the years, since I moved to LA which is nearly 7 years ago at this point, and why I've kept them...I have no idea!!  I literally am getting rid of hundreds of magazines, Los Angeles Magazine, Bazaar, Marie Claire, Elle, Allure, Cosmopolitan, etc.  I think my original thought was to keep them in case I used them for something; I did craft projects for a short period of time where I cut pictures and words out of magazines and made jewelry boxes (thanks to Ash for the idea, and they actually turned out to be really fun projects and great gifts), or used the articles in my daily life, cleaning certain things, recipes, places to grab lunch or find a great Happy Hour, make-up tips, whatever it was, I thought I had a need for them later on.  My need now is to get rid of them!  I'm pretty sure the library can't even do anything with them since they're so old and they probably don't want Cosmopolitan filling the shelves either.  I decided that anything older than 2010 is probably going to get tossed and anything from 2010 to now I'm going to take to a Homeless Shelter if they'll let me give them to them.  I'm sure the people in there would find some enjoyment out of them, and then I'm doing a good deed, which makes me feel all warm and toasty inside :)

Meanwhile, I'm practically tripping over the stacks of magazines that are sitting next to my sink/vanity area in my room, but at least I've freed up a ton of closet space, opened up a shelf on my bookcase, and am slowly but surely, clearing the floor space along my newly picture-framed wall! *(Refer to my last blog in July for that story!)*

So after going through some more magazines to make sure I'm not losing any valuable information because I am that OCD, I had to Host Karaoke last night!  I didn't have anyone signed up until after 9:15 pm but then there was a rush and we had nearly an hour and fifteen minute wait between the rotation.  There was a whole group of people that I didn't know that were singing, and another group of regulars that were all cheering everyone on and trying new songs.  I opened with Garbage and Marcus wanted to sing 'Time of My Life' as his first song so we sang that and then I took a break for the next two rotations because it was so busy and I'd rather have other people sing than sing myself.  Lucky for me, some familiar faces showed up when Sean and Julie came in, and Sean tried '3 am' by Matchbox 20 and that was awesome!  Jamie came in around midnight and sang a few times, even closing out the night for me with 'Gravity.'  Thank you Jamie!  My new song of the night because I didn't know what to sing was Hilary Duff's, 'So Yesterday.'  The song actually went well but because it was such a different vibe in the bar it may not have been the best night for it, but oh well, I needed to do something new.  I'm going on 8 months of new songs and it's definitely getting more difficult to come up with new material but that just means I need to go for artists I would never have thought of and try something crazy.  Crazy = Great!  Then to top it all off, Amy had made this Spicy Meatloaf for Chris, whose Birthday it was at midnight, but he never showed up.  I got to have a slice of the Meatloaf and it was absolutely amazing...Amy gave my Grandma run for her money!!

Now, here I sit on a Saturday evening, after getting home from Church, 'Friends' is playing in the background, and I'm thinking about what I want for Dinner (probably the other half of my Meatloaf from Amy and a fresh Veggie Quesadilla), and so excited to have a quiet night to myself.  Well, I'm sharing it with Debbie to help her figure out some stuff for her headshots but she's such a ball of energy, perhaps I'll be in the mood to attack more of my room!  It feels so good to let things go...

No comments:

Post a Comment