Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Spazmatics!

After a short hiatus (probably 2 years) the Spazmatics are back to playing shows in LA.  The Spazmatics are strictly a cover band playing mostly 80's songs with a few 90's song in their repertoire. And they come dressed in full-out nerd garb.

Sunday night they were playing at Zanzibar in Santa Monica.  The last time I saw them they were playing in Marina Del Rey on a big stage with a wide open dance floor and that was 2 years ago.  They've had a residency at bars all over Los Angeles and apparently they were back again!  There was a DJ playing upon arrival, spinning 80's & 90's music and mixing really well.  His transitions were seamless and his choices were fun.

It was my first time at Zanzibar and while it didn't seem like the ideal venue for a show that used to bring in hundreds of people, I loved the loungey aspect of it.  Plus, there was plenty of seating but still had a dance floor and small stage in the back.  The band started promptly at 10:30 pm (no delaying us here, *cough* Steel Panther *cough* for nearly 2 hours).  I did recognize the lead singer and the guitarist from the last time I saw them but I believe there's a few new members to the band as they were calling themselves Spazmatic Lion, which may have been a joke.  The major thing I noticed was that their background music included all this new stuff from music on the radio today, so they were sampling bits and pieces of rap and hip hop songs along with some pop.  I suppose that brings in a new crowd for them but the reason I enjoy them is because there is no Auto-Tune.
Neon Colors & 80's Style at Spazmatics
They played some of the classics, 'Jessie's Girl,' 'Don't Stop Believing' which originally was 'Separate Ways' which is my favorite Journey song of all-time but then switched over to the crowd favorite.  A few years ago at a Hollywood Pool Party I actually went on-stage and sang Journey with them; it was a blast!!  I don't have any pictures of the performance but I'll always remember how much fun I had!  Hearing some of the music brought ideas for future Karaoke songs like The Romantics, 'What I Like About You' and 'Your Love' by The Outfield.  I could tell this was basically a warm-up show for them because they didn't seem to have the energy they've had at past shows but as the show went on they got more into it and the crowd did as well.  Everyone was dancing and singing along.  At one point the whole band took a shot together and one of the guys threw or kicked his shot glass which was actually a double shot glass and it hit me in the wrist.  Let me tell ya, that hurt.  Bad!  I didn't want to make a big deal about it, but my wrist is still sore 2 days later and I've got a nice goose egg over a vein.  Hot.

Around midnight they took a break and I'm assuming they were coming back for the second half of their set but I had Jury Duty the next day so I wanted to get home and get some sleep because I knew it would be a long day.  I'll definitely go back again to sing and dance along to my favorite 80's tunes but hopefully this time, I won't be assaulted ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment