Sunday, August 19, 2012

Getting over Laryngitis!

At this point it's been 2 weeks of me having Laryngitis which means I'm still trying to eat healthy, not drink, get sleep, and not sing as much at Karaoke.  I worked twice this week so on top of Jury Duty I was pretty busy, keeping up with my Castings but unfortunately missing Auditions while I'm at the courthouse.  I just try to look at is as though it's just not meant to be.

A Karaoke Night at Gabe's with Marcus & Debbie
I Hosted Karaoke on Wednesday and it was so slow once again that I didn't get started until after 9:40 pm, went through a short rotation and waited another 15 minutes before doing another one.  I sang 'Rhiannon' by Fleetwood Mac because it's a heavily instrumental song so I wouldn't have to sing much.  I didn't even take my turn during the rotations to try to protect my voice but I had to sing a new song at some point.  Around 11:30 pm a bunch of Karaoke regulars walked in and what I thought would be a short night ending at midnight ended up going till after 1 am.  I didn't mind because I'm making money and it's fun, I just wish the night would be more steady.  I think every Bartender or person in the service industry likes it to be busy or steady to keep from getting bored, you know you're making money, and it's more fun when the time is flying by!  Khad sang some new songs as well as some crowd favorites.  Debbie was glad to be back from Vegas and had some exciting stories to tell plus she was thrilled that she had sold-out of her books during her 2 signings so Congrats Debbie!  My new song of the night ended up being the Spice Girls, '2 Become 1' because they sang at the Closing Ceremonies of the Olympics.  I thought it would be fun to do but it was more difficult than I expected because I forgot about all of their voices over-lapping, and having another singer with me during the song would have made it much easier.  I think it would be a fun crowd song so I'll have to sing it again on a busier night with a friend!

Then Johnny and I switched our shifts this weekend so I ended up working on Saturday.  Every night at Karaoke is different, you get some of the same regulars, but there are regulars for each specific night and each Karaoke Host.  It was empty at Gabe's on Saturday night and I was in shock.  Neil came in and I was glad to see him since it was so slow, and Lee was there, plus Art wanted to sing.  Since it was a quiet night I was comfortable singing slower songs and we had a really supportive group of people sitting in the front at a table.  My new song of the night was Adam Lambert's, 'Whataya Want From Me' which was super fun to sing.  I think I like it because it's got a good range plus it's upbeat but has some feeling behind it.  In between singers I play background music, and Vanilla Ice's 'Ice Ice Baby' was playing and Neil totally pulled out some dance moves I had never seen and had the crowd in full-on appreciation and applause; it was awesome!  Carolyn came in since she got off of work early so I was able to catch up with her for a little bit for the first time in a month!  Neil sang a couple new songs, an Elvis song, that's always fun to hear him sing because it's low but had a great range, and also sang, 'The Famous Final Scene' by Bob Seger which I loved.  I think I've heard the song before but he made it his own and that always makes a song stand-out.  I did get to sing En Vogue's 'Don't Let Go' that Neil actually knew and sang back-up for which was hilarious since he can hit all the high notes with his falsettoAfter my friends had left around 10:45 pm the night ended up getting a little bit busier but stayed steady so that was nice.  By the end of the night, people that had sang 5 or 6 times actually told me they didn't want to sing anymore which was surprising since usually they'll keep asking if they can sing even when it's after 1 am.  I was able to call it a night at 12:45 am and get home fairly early on my Saturday night.

Next week is going to be busy with my Jury Duty, Hosting Karaoke, and back to Bartending at Irish Times.  I was bummed to miss out on my shift at Irish Times this week but I had to keep my Civil Duty and be at the courthouse for Jury Duty!  I'm just happy to be getting in a nice walk from the Parking Garage to the courthouse in Downtown LA on my Jury Duty days!

No comments:

Post a Comment