Friday, May 17, 2013

Karaoke!

I've finally been able to catch up on my blog as it's been really busy and I can't believe we're already half-way through the month of May.  I've been keeping up with my resolutions of doing something new and different each month, including singing my new song at Karaoke each week and it's now been over a year and a half of that tradition!

Last month's new activity was hitting up an Open Mic Night in Sherman Oaks with my friend, Kristina, as well as my first ever Hair Modeling gig for Salon Sessions in Pasadena.  This month, Emily and I made our way to Vegas for a spontaneous mini-vacay out of LA.

Since yet again, I've gotten behind on posting about Karaoke I'll do a quick catch up for this blog.  Starting a few weeks ago I opened the night with 'Here Comes the Rain Again' one of Bob and CC's favorite songs for me to sing, followed by my new song of the night, 'King of Anything' by one of my favorite's, Sara Bareilles.  Then, because I sang that, one of our regulars asked me to sing 'Gravity' so I did the Acapella version of the song (once again by Sara Bareilles) and was really happy with it, and trying it differently.  It had been a while since I sang Kim Wilde's 'Keep Me Hanging On' and then I closed the night with 'It Will Rain' by Bruno Mars.

Last week's Karaoke was a really busy night and after getting back from Vegas I was totally fine with just singing a couple times and resting my voice.  I kept it Gender Bender Night for me, only singing songs by male artists or groups, starting with 'Oh Darling' by The Beatles and then my new song was Tonic's 'You Wanted More' which was a lot of fun to sing.  I capped off the night with 'Disarm' by Smashing Pumpkins considering I was wearing my Smashing Pumpkins T-Shirt from their most recent Tour and from the show I saw in LA at The Gibson.
Ready to sing along with Sara Bareilles at her concert
this week :)  Been in a singing mood lately!
I also got to sing at The Garage on Friday for Karaoke Night because I was working in The Motor Club and even though we were slammed busy my guests were asking me to sing, so I sang a little Supreme's doing 'Baby Love' and it was fun to sing in a different setting with people that only see me in work mode and Bartending :)

This past week at Karaoke I had so many friends in, which was awesome; I love catching up with everyone and I was so proud to see everyone trying new songs!  YAY!  I can't remember the last time I sang Pat Benatar's 'Heartbreaker' so I opened with that and once again my second song was my new song, and since I had just seen Sara Bareilles in Concert on Tuesday night, I sang 'Love Song' which I had always been afraid of but decided to challenge myself to it!  It had also been quite some time since I had sang 'Sunday Morning' by No Doubt but I felt like my voice was able to handle some higher notes today which was why I was going to back to some of my favorites like 'I Dreamed a Dream' from "Les Miserables" which was one of my best takes on the song that night.  Marcus was there and he asked if I wanted to do a duet, so I got to sing another new song that I've always wanted to sing which was 'Don't You Want Me' by Human League.  It's that song that starts...you were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar (and it always reminds me of Saint's & Sinner's because Big Brother Mike used to always play the song while he was DJ'ing and I was Cocktailing)...great memories :)  Next up I did 'Gold Dust Woman' for McCracken and our whole crew closed out with 'Belle' from "Beauty & The Beast."  It was an awesome Karaoke night!

It's been a lot of working lately but every once in a while it's nice to go out play, and I'm thankful I was able to head to Vegas for a couple days, get to see Sara Bareilles this week, and just catch up with friends on my days off.  Life is good :D

No comments:

Post a Comment