Thursday, May 23, 2013

Sara Bareilles Concert!

I was so excited to see Sara Bareilles in Concert at The El Rey Theater a couple weeks ago with my friend, Courtney!  I had tried to get tickets the day they went on sale but they sold out within minutes and after trying to find extra tickets on-line, saw they were going for over $450 for 2 tickets (when they were originally $35 each plus processing fee) so I just figured I'd have to wait till the next time she was in town.  Then, lucky for me, they went on sale again, and Courtney and I were headed to the show early since it was General Admission standing room only.
Ebony & Ivory at the Concert :)
We waited in line to get into the theater for nearly an hour and then waited over an hour for her to take the stage but since we were only 10 feet from the stage it was totally worthwhile!  Not to mention the show was absolutely incredible.  I was impressed by each and every song because this was her solo tour, so she could take her time, and hold these beautiful notes and give me goosebumps!  I didn't realize how many instruments she knew how to play as she opened playing the piano, then an acoustic guitar, switched to an electric guitar, and then the harmonium and back.  I was so happy to see Courtney taking pictures and videos of her, and I knew that I took the perfect person to the show with me :)

So close to her!
Edgy 'Come Round Soon'
on the electric guitar!
She opened with a song I wasn't completely familiar with, 'Love on the Rocks' but went into 'Benny & The Jets' which was really fun.  In between songs she chatted with the audience, was so endearing and humorous, and all I could think was that I wanted to hang out with her because she would be a riot!  Next up she did 'Uncharted' and 'Love Song' to which the crowd happily sang along.  It was back to a cover doing 'Sitting on the Dock of the Bay' and just impressing the heck out of everyone with her range and tone.  'Bright Lights and Cityscapes' made me nostalgic and fall even more in love with that song and her voice.  Somehow she transitioned into 'You Belong to Me' by Taylor Swift because it had the same riff as 'Let the Rain' which is one of my favorite songs!  Then it was another song I was unfamiliar with but that was absolutely beautiful and then came my favorite edgy song she sings, 'Come Round Soon' which she sang while playing the electric guitar and adding a jazzy feel to it, which was so new and fresh.  I LOVE that song because it has such a Fiona Apple feel to it.  She played 'Brave' which is off her new album, and I wasn't necessarily in love with it after seeing her initial video for it, but after hearing her story about wanting people to write on note cards at her show why they're brave because she's creating this project, it made me get more into it, not to mention the notes she was holding and the power behind her voice was so inspiring.  I still can't believe that I only discovered how much I truly loved her music just a couple years ago...I have been missing out!  She closed out her set with 'King of Anything' but after lots of cheers and chanting she came back out for a short encore doing one of my all-time favorite songs, 'Gravity,' which brings tears to my eyes every time.  She exudes talent, happiness, fun, and appreciation which is an awesome combination.  The last song she left us with was 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' another Elton John cover which was just as beautiful as her opening to the show.

I thought her last show was incredible when I saw her at The Palladium and she had Laryngitis but this was out of this world, how on point she was.  I can't wait till the next time she's in town but with this show being at a more intimate venue, it's going to be hard to come close to the amazing talent she showed. Come back soon, Sara!

No comments:

Post a Comment