Monday, June 16, 2014

Neil's Acoustic Show & Katy's Birthday :)

A couple weeks ago Neil played his first Acoustic Show in over a year!  I was excited to see him play at Universal Bar & Grill and also very happy that my friend, Katy, was having her Birthday Party in North Hollywood that night as well!

Neil's show started promptly at 8 pm as he had a bunch of new music to play but also some crowd favorites, and was hoping to get everything in with his 50 minute set.  He opened with 'Dizzy' which is a great starter to get the night going since most of the people at the show had seen him play before.  He swapped between new and old music, and also adding a couple covers too.  Since his parents had taken down his childhood basketball hoop, Rimmy, just that week he even made a dedication to his life-long friend growing up, doing his first cover of the night, 'Born To Run' by Bruce Springsteen and even played the harmonica.  I finally got to hear 'Winona' for the first time since he wrote it almost four years ago and the crowd loved it.  Well-written lyrics and a gorgeous melody equals a winning combination!  'The Seagull' is another crowd-pleaser but I love 'Veil of Tears' and he made it new by adding a little Lady Gaga 'Bad Romance' before he went into the song.  Neil's been writing a bunch of new songs lately so he played 'Like We're Brand New' which has more of a country feel and beautiful lyrics.  He had a great turn-out and I think everyone enjoyed hearing the new music and we're all looking forward to his next show :)

At Bow & Truss with the Birthday Girl!
After Neil's show, I knew I had to see my good friend, Katy, since she was in town from Sacramento for a few days to celebrate her Birthday with friends and family.  I've missed her so much so I was glad to catch up with her at Bow & Truss which was just down the street from Universal Bar & Grill in North Hollywood.  It was my first time there and although they had a great cocktail menu I decided to stick with wine.  It looked like they had an awesome menu, and one of the girls at the party, said her brother was one of the chefs, so I'll definitely go back to try the food!  Katy had a bunch of activities planned throughout the weekend and just a short time to fit everything in.  I knew I had to speak in Church on Sunday to the Confirmation class so I wanted to spend as much time with her as I could before she left for Nor Cal.  Lucky for me we got to see a movie together on Saturday night, and she was able to squeeze in some more time for me during her busy schedule.  There's a post about Maleficent here on my blog!  Katy, I hope you're moving back to LA soon because I miss you like crazy and love our 'Bachelorette' nights in or going out for drinks!

It was definitely a fun night out and great to catch up with friends, hear some awesome music, and enjoy being out!  I have so many friends with Birthdays in June so this is a month of celebrating especially since my Birthday is in a few days.  It's nice to have a couple days off before the craziness begins...
'Still falling for you...Like we're brand new.'
Check out Neil's music here: Neil Daly on YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment