Friday, January 13, 2012

Daisy Duke does Traffic

I always am so excited when I find out I have an audition, but I always dread and worry about one thing...when it is, and where I'm going.  Trust me, there are places you don't want to go at certain times of the day in LA.  If you have to drive to North Hollywood from Culver City for an audition at 4 pm you better be on the road around 2:30 because it's probably going to take over an hour to get there.  And getting back home from that audition could easily take 2 hours with traffic.  

This Summer, everyone feared Carmegeddon as the 405 was going to be shut down for 48 hours.  For those of you who don't live in LA or don't know what traffic is like, the 405 and 10 are the two major freeways around LA, and if one of them is shut down, it feels like the world is ending.  While Carmegeddon has come and gone (and really wasn't that big of a deal at all) traffic on an every day basis is pretty much always ridiculous.  
 
Some people enjoy their time on the road, in the solace of their car, and find it relaxing.  I do not.  I don't think I have Road Rage, but sometimes people are just idiots when they're driving, as if they really don't have a license, or don't know how to drive and be considerate in general.  Driving for me means who can I call to keep me company while I sit and stare as the cars pass me by.  Thank goodness for Bluetooth in my car so I am completely hands-free in my new Accord Coupe :)

I had an audition today in Studio City at 12:50 pm.  Score!  And it only took 35 minutes to get there!  Now, Daisy Duke was the title of this blog for a reason...my audition was for a TV Show Promo Advertisement.  As I walked into the room and smelled the gorgeous calla-lily's, I looked around at the 20 girls, all dressed in wedges, shorts, and tank tops.  Blondes, brunette's, redheads, and everything in between.  Daisy Duke we were.
 
I'm always in awe when I go to an audition and they give you a specific look, and you have a room filled with Michelle Rodriguez types (tan, brown hair and eyes) and me, because we all know I'm German/Luxembourg and Irish.  Thankfully, my tan, green eyes and dark hair have given me an open ethnicity, so I can go out on the Latin or Middle Eastern castings.  The "Michelle Rodriguez" casting I went to a couple months ago was similar to the Daisy Duke one, except everyone was in jeans, chucks, and a black tank top.  At least we know everyone is listening :)  This audition, was just a style and easy to follow as I looked through my Summer clothes for the perfect pair of shorts and v-neck t shirt, keeping it simple and classy.

After hearing the details of the project, the audition part was fairly simple, be bubbly and smiley while a photographer took a couple photos.  Lyndsey being a Cheerleader, no problem!  As always, it's just a waiting game to hear back.  I can't imagine how hard it would be to choose just a few girls out of hundreds; the end result, you need to stand out in someway and be memorable.  Blowing fire...you can bet that's on my resume!  And have a little faith, that's what I do. 

As I headed back home after my audition going South on the 405 I felt bad for the cars just sitting there on the opposite side of the median waiting to move just inches in the Northern direction.  Lucky for me, I had my Prince CD playing, the windows rolled down and sun on my face...I didn't mind the 25 minute drive and music today, and maybe those people didn't mind it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment