Monday, May 14, 2012

Krazy Karaoke

Where did last week go?!  I had so much going on I haven't been able to keep up with my blog or my Journal and I'm days behind, so I'm writing a bunch of blogs today to catch myself up!

Last week I Hosted Karaoke on both Wednesday and Friday!  I was really glad to have the previous Friday off and take a break from Gabe's for a week, so this week I was really excited to get back to work.

Wednesday started off really slow, not even getting started until after 10 pm.  After the first round of singers we had 5 people signed up and we all did a super-set of George Michael songs.  I sang 'Careless Whisper' by Seether a couple months ago, so I decided to try George's version, and I was so nervous and actually intimidated by it at first.  It got started and I had to change the key one line in, but then I got more comfortable as the song went on, and I actually had a lot of fun with it.  I'll definitely try it again now that I've worked on it.  Marty showed up and brought a bunch of people in the bar and all of a sudden we had a busy Karaoke night!  We had a lot of singers and people singing crowd favorites.  Neil ended up coming in and charming the crowd with an R&B song, who knew?!  Marty did his usual 'Sweet Child of Mine' and brought the house down!  We, or I should say, I attempted to sing 'Without You' from "Rent" but I just don't know the song well enough yet.  Neil did a great job on it, but I needed a lot of help.  'Another Day' will always be my favorite from the show, but I couldn't find it in our database that day, so we did 'Light My Candle' instead, which is always a fun song to sing!  My other new song of the night was 'Gravity' by Sara Bareilles.  I made it through the song, and got a little choked up at the end, because it's such a beautiful song, and has sentimental value to me, but I think my favorite moment was when I hit the high note and whole room erupted in applause.  It was a really cool moment and Neil told me the whole room loved the song and he was really impressed that it was my first time singing it and was so proud of me.  I can't wait to sing it again!

Then on Friday it started off slow too but got really busy really quick because we had a 30 person Birthday Party!  I felt like I lost my voice early on so I didn't sing very much because I wanted to give the people coming in a chance to sing, and I could take a break then!  It was nice to see some regulars of S&S hanging out at the bar when I walked in; they had found out I was coming in for Karaoke so they stayed to hang out.  So sweet!  There was plenty of fun songs for the crowd like 'Sweet Caroline,' 'Hit Me With Your Best Shot,' 'Edge of Glory,' and even a little LL Cool J.  I was really proud that I was able to stay patient all night long and use some of the tips my Karaoke Host friend uses when he hosts at Brass Monkey.  He's got tons of experience and has seen it all and his tricks worked!  Marcus came in towards the end of the night and had discovered some new music so he sang 'All Summer Long' by Kid Rock which is such a perfect artist for his voice, plus he had so much fun with the song!  I closed the night with 'All I Really Want' by Alanis Morissette and was glad to get home after a long and busy night!

Since I'm heading back to Wisconsin this week, I won't be back to Karaoke until next Wednesday, but I'm hoping for a Karaoke Adventure back home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment