Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Odyssey and Disney Supersets

I got back from Wisconsin on Tuesday and I had an audition on Wednesday!  I was really looking forward to it all weekend because I found out when I was at home.  There's a Summer Children's Theater in Culver City that I auditioned for last year and I was going to miss the auditions this year because of my trip to Wisconsin and luckily one of the Directors said I could come straight to call-backs on Wednesday!

So on Wednesday evening I headed over to the Veteran's Memorial where auditions were being held and went straight into the Audition Room.  B* (the Director of the play 'The Odyssey') even asked how my trip was!  Then I performed my Comedic Monologue and felt really good about it.  I found it a couple years ago in a movie and felt like it was a really fun piece and not completely like me so it's one of my favorite monologues to perform.  B* laughed and then handed me two different scenes to do as a cold-read.  I read over both scenes twice and then B* came in to read them with me.  

The first scene was between 3 different types of characters:  guests, the Gods, and the servants.  I made sure to address each of them differently and after the first read through he said he liked my choices but to make them even more different especially when speaking to the servants, so I did that and he said it was great.  The second scene was basically one long run on sentence in a 2 minute monologue.  In my first read through of that I made sure to emphasize certain words but keep it flowing quickly.  When I got done he told me to find a specific rhythm and smile throughout the whole monologue, and I felt like I did a much better job the second time through with his direction and B* said that was just what he was looking for.  We discussed my schedule and I was so happy to say I had no conflicts and was completely available for a rehearsal schedule, he said thank you and that was it!

I actually felt really good about the whole process and have missed theater so much I really want to get back into it at some capacity.  I e-mailed B* this morning to thank him for having me come in and he e-mailed me back shortly after saying he loved my energy but unfortunately couldn't find a part for me and to blame Homer for making 'The Odyssey' so heavily male, but that he looks forward to working with me in the future.  You can't get them all and it just pushes me harder to book something else, but I still had so much fun auditioning for it :)

Last night after my Audition I had my first night Hosting Karaoke since I was back from Wisconsin.  I was really excited to be back and we got started right on time!  I sang a bunch of duets last night, 'Lucky' & 'Unforgettable' with Jerry, and sang background for some fellow Karaoke singers as well.  Khad and Sean both came in so I knew there were going to be performances by Double Entendre as well as super fun choices being made, like George Michael by Sean, Otis Redding by Johnny, and Khad singing 'Personal Jesus' by Marilyn Manson which followed my new song of the night, 'One of Us' by Joan Osborne.  Debbie came and actually danced on stage this weekend at Boogie Nights at The Greek when they honored Donna Summer so she sang Donna Summer to pay homage to her.  Of course, the night would not be complete without a superset, and tonight it was Disney songs, started by Sean's version of 'Part of Your World' from the "The Little Mermaid", Khad's "Mulan" song, and Khad joining his sister Jamie for 'A Whole New World' from "Aladdin" and I couldn't miss out on the fun so I closed with another new song for me, 'Colors of the Wind' the actual "Pocahontas" movie version!  Fun was had by all and I look forward to Hosting Karaoke on Saturday this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment