Saturday, June 30, 2012

Debbie's Disco Birthday Party and Karaoke!

It was my double week for Karaoke this week and Friday was going to be a huge blow-out Disco Birthday Party for Debbie, our resident Disco Diva, but I was Hosting Karaoke on Wednesday first!

Wednesday started out a little slow with no complaints from our regulars who got to sing quite a few times before people started showing up.  We did a super-set of "Dirty Dancing" songs with Sean kicking it off with 'Hungry Eyes' which is one of my favorite songs, and currently plays on my iPod when I'm out for my run.  Marcus continued our set with Patrick Swayze's 'She's Like the Wind' which I don't think I've ever heard anyone Karaoke and it was great, and I did 'Be My Baby' to finish off our super-set.  But the night wouldn't be complete without Marcus asking me to do a duet, and since we were already singing "Dirty Dancing" songs, he was going with 'I've Had The Time of my Life,' which is always such a fun song to sing.  

Jamie and Khad came in and while Jamie killed Adele's 'One & Only' Khad and Neil sang a song from "Beauty & The Beast."  My new song of the night was Jewel's 'You Were Meant for Me,' which went over really well.  Debbie came in late to rehearse a couple songs for her Disco Party and then we called it a night!

Now Friday was pure craziness; I've never seen it that busy at Karaoke.  At our busiest there was an hour and a half wait!  Judy who had made me a cake and cupcakes for my Birthday set everything up for Debbie's Birthday as well, and there was all this food, a beautiful cake, and decorations all over the bar.  I baked some cookies before I left and did my make-up and hair 70's style and Debbie was dressed head to toe Disco!  Neil came right away to help me out as well knowing how busy it was going to be and was dressed just like John Travolta from "Saturday Night Fever" in white pants, white shoes and a lavender button-down shirt, along with some bling.

I opened the night with a new song for me, Abba's 'Dancing Queen' starting the party, getting people off their feet, dancing and singing from the get-go and the Disco continued throughout the night!  It wasn't all Disco but it was definitely encouraged!  There were Tina Turner songs, lots of Stevie Wonder, Donna Summer, and Prince.  Neil sang 'I Wanna Be Your Lover' which the crowd loved, and everyone loved Debbie singing Donna Summer songs!  There were crowd songs like 'We Are Family' and 'Wannabe' by the Spice Girls.  My other new song of night was the "Moulin Rouge" version of 'Lady Marmalade' and I had plenty of back-up dancers for the song and background vocalists with everyone singing along.  Khad and Neil killed Boyz to Men's 'I'll Make Love to You' bringing the ladies to their feet!  And of course, the Birthday girl closed the night with 'On the Radio' and had everyone dancing. 
Singing 'Dancing Queen' for Debbie's Disco Birthday!
Overall, I think Debbie was really happy with all the people that showed up, and thankfully as the night was coming to a close, it slowed down a little bit and all her friends were able to sing at least once!  It was definitely a Disco Party, lots of 70's looks, lots of 70's songs, and more fun than the 70's could handle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment