Saturday, June 9, 2012

Leather & Lace

On Wednesday Night I hosted Karaoke at Gabe's and I walked into a packed bar.  There was a group that was celebrating a Birthday as well as finishing up with their semester so I knew we were going to have a busy night.  Almost everyone in the group (at least 15 people) signed up to sing!  There were performances of 'Don't Speak,' 'Hold The Line,' and 'Toxicity.'  It was a very cheerful and crazy night!
Jonathan & I at Gabe's

It was one of the those nights where I was feeling sappy and wanted to sing slow love songs but this was not the crowd for that so I opened with a fun Fleetwood Mac song and sang 'Oh Darling' later on.  The crowd was very supportive and the singers were very energetic.  Most of them were dancing around, involving the crowd, and it felt like a sing-along all night long which was really cool.  It's the first time I've seen that here at Gabe's, where it literally went on all night long!  I didn't want to disappoint the crowd with a slow song so my new song of the night was 'Just A Girl' by No Doubt, and clearly all of us have had it up to here as everyone sang along ;)
  
We were also celebrating Jonathan's last night of Karaoke in LA as he's moving next week.  He came in pretty early and got started singing some Elvis and getting the crowd 'All Shook Up.'  He did a couple duets as well, including 'I Got You, Babe' with Judy, and 'Summer Nights' with me.  Apparently, one of the girls in the bar was not happy that we were singing that (she was very drunk and acting obnoxious) and decided to call me a not nice word.  I didn't let it phase me because I knew she was just drunk, but after she said that I ruined the end of 'Fallin' by Alicia Keyes, which I sang specifically for Jonathan because it was his last night, he had had enough and let her have it.  I didn't even hear her comment but it was very sweet that Jonathan didn't want anyone to disrespect me and was being protective.  Aww, I'm going to miss you Little One!  Thank you for being awesome, making me laugh, cheering me up, giving great advice, and just being you!

I also Hosted Karaoke on Friday this week!  It was a busy night from the start with lots of singers and a long rotation.  A bunch of my friends came in to see me and sing, Khad, Jamie, Sean, Julie, Carolyn, Marty, Matt, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.  Finally we had time to do a couple Double Entendre performances, another 'Man or Muppet' for Julie, and even some Backstreet Boys which the crowd loved!  Jamie did an awesome version of Radiohead's 'Creep' which is a super difficut song to sing.  It was a really neat night because everyone would stick to the same mood and feel of a song for the whole rotation, so if there were 12 people singing, they were all singing some slow, emotional, deep song, and then the next round everyone would sing something upbeat and energetic.  Marty did a great rendition of Jason Mraz's 'I Won't Give Up On You,' and I was excited to sing 'It Will Rain' by Bruno Mars as my new song.  I really love that song, and Boyce Avenue does an absolutely incredible cover of it, so I was really excited to sing it.  Marcus and I also sang Gotye's 'Somebody That I Used To Know,' which will be much better the next time we sing it.  Of course, Khad's 'I'll Make a Man out of You' from "Mulan" is always a crowd favorite!  I would have to say my favorite part of the night was closing Karaoke with Carolyn and I doing a duet of 'Gravity.'  Our voices blended really well together, the harmonies were pretty, and she hit the high notes perfectly!  It was a really fun night with lots of cocktails flowing and great friends!  Oh and apparently, my 'leather' pants (which I had to wear for an audition today) were a hit ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment