Thursday, October 4, 2012

It's Halloween Month!

As October hits, that means Halloween is less than a month a way, and planning a costume becomes a priority!  It also means the Haunted Houses open, all the Costume Shops are packed, and people are prepping for Halloween Parties.

On Sunday, I took Neil out for a Halloween surprise.  I got us tickets to the Paranoia Haunted Maze at the Santa Monica Mall.  You had 3 choices of Mazes to go through as many times as you liked, The Infirmary/Asylum, a Haunted Manor, and a Clown Playhouse.  I don't think anyone really enjoys clowns unless you're a little kid, and that's probably because Clowns are one of the easiest things to turn scary.  I can still vividly remember a dream I had as a child where I had been chased by Clowns through my house and when they caught anybody, they put them in a giant balloon that was hanging from the ceiling and would then kill you by sucking your blood through a straw, and it was a painful and very drawn-out death.  Creepy, I know.

Anyway, I think Neil and I's favorite maze was the Clown one because it was the scariest and had the most fun stuff in it.  As we worked through the maze, the Clowns were jumping out at you, coming up behind you, and in this one, there were 2 that were dancing in a separate room you had to walk through, which was really neat to see.  But my favorite and also scariest part was walking through this tunnel that was spinning over a bridge.  As Neil and I started walking through it, it felt like it was moving and turning upside down so much that I was clutching his arm and the railing as well as bracing my stance to the ground.  I was probably in there a minute or two because my mind was playing tricks on me and as we finally got out of it, I was dizzy and could barely stand up!  But I loved it so much, we had to go through that maze again.  The second time through the tunnel my knees were so weak I had to stop and take a few moments to regain my balance.  It was crazy!!

The Infirmary Maze was really neat too because it was the first one we went through when we got there.  I haven't been to a Haunted House in years; it was probably more like 15 years ago when my family and I would go to Wisconsin Dells and go through them, but after the performers were able to touch you in one, and also grab you, I decided no more because that was way too creepy.  Imagine someone coming up behind you and touching your head or grabbing your arm, flipping scary!  I actually screamed a couple times in the first maze because I didn't know what to expect so they were coming around corners, jumping at you, there was stuff hanging from the ceiling which would distract you and then the body that was laying limp on a chair would come to life.  I still think the creepiest thing about the Mazes were the people that would come up behind you and just appear.  The performers were stealthy!!  In the Haunted Manor Maze it was basically like walking through a huge mansion with a kitchen, living room, dining area, and bedrooms.  The performers were quick and flexible and would just appear out of nowhere, even in a huge room!  That was the least scary of the 3 so we ended our Maze excursion on the Clown Playhouse for one final scare.

It was definitely a great way to kick off Halloween Month considering we went around 10:30 pm and were there till after midnight.  Along with admission to the Mazes they were offering Happy Hour prices at Zengo so we went to grab some ghoulishly-named cocktails after some scary time in the mazes.  It was a lot of fun!

Just 27 more days...Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment