Friday, October 12, 2012

Karaoke Firsts

When you sing Karaoke, people are always excited to give you suggestions for songs they would like to hear you sing, or that they think would sound great with your voice.  As a Karaoke Host, people are always asking for my opinion and I usually ask them to narrow it down to a genre or a couple different artists so I can give them some choices.  I like to hear people sing too so I can figure out what would work well with their voice or if they're up for a challenge, then singing something I haven't heard in a while that I love.

My friends also give me song suggestions and usually I forget about them but some of them I have learned and tried and loved, and other songs I've sang have failed miserably at.  A couple months ago, Jamie gave me a suggestion from 'Rent' saying we should sing 'Take Me Or Leave Me.'  I had recently listened to the song so after her reminder last week I decided it was about time to listen to it, practice it, and then just do it!

This Wednesday night, after fixing some sound issues, we got started, singing to a full room of people.  Jamie came in just after the night started and had a bunch of new songs she was ready to sing tonight.  Neil showed up later on in the night as well as did Khad so we had our whole crew together again!  One of Khad's new songs for the night was Stone Temple Pilot's 'Creep' which we heard Marcus sing last week and decided Khad would have to sing it since it's in his style.  Jamie's first new song of the night was 'Alone' by Heart and I loved her high note; her second new song was Jewel's 'Near You Always' which sounded really difficult but Jamie performed it like a pro!  Even Neil sang, which is a rare occurance, and he did Third Eye Blind's 'Semi-Charmed Kind of Life,' which was awesome!  Then it was time for Jamie and I to sing our song from 'Rent.'  We both got into character and had a lot of fun with the song, we belted out our parts, and gave a strong performance.  Once we work a little more on the ending it should be even better!  I'm glad that it was my new song of the night and that I did something that I didn't necessarily gravitate towards but now that I've done it, I can't wait to sing it again!  It was a great night for new music and ideas, and we all had our fill of Karaoke and I learned a lesson the hard way, singing Whitney Houston at the end of the night, is not the smartest thing to do when you've worked your vocal cords all day long and have lost your voice.  
Whitney - 1
Lyndsey - 0 

The competition is on and I'm up for the challenge!  Next week, I'm learning something else new...maybe it'll be Khad and I's duet, a rap, a teeny-bopper song, or something else.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment