Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Thoughts of Mom

I read an article today on what region of the brain is the starting point for Alzheimer's and it excited me to find this information and know something that could potentially cause it could be stopped by just getting a good night's rest.  This is obviously not the case for everyone but if it could help, I'm willing to learn and read more on it!  As I read the article it made me think about my Mom and Grandma and I wanted to share my thoughts here :)

My Grandmother died 10 years ago after battling Alzheimer's and when that happened, I knew a little part of my Mom had died because she was so close with her Mom (my Grandma). It changed her, therefore changed me, and this disease is such a sad one to watch a family member go through. To watch my Grandma forget who we were, her ability to know how to eat, and even show emotion was devastating and the toll it took on my Mom, her sisters, brother, my Grandpa before he passed, and all of us who loved my Grandma so dearly was so difficult. Finding a way to slow the on-set of it, and a cure for the disease would be great but reading this article means it starts with a good night's sleep. A thing I have been far too aware of for the past couple months...if getting a good night's sleep means that I can keep my family and future from going through this, it is all the more reason to keep stress at bay, and take some time for myself. Before I came back to LA, I had spent a lot of time at home cleaning and organizing things so that it would be easier for my Dad to keep the house tidy without my Mom. I found a Thanksgiving card my Mom had written a couple years after my Grandma had passed, in it she said when she visited my Grandma that she would just constantly talk to her while my Grandma would just watch her. Then she'd lay her head on my Grandma's shoulder and cry, and Grandma would start crying too. She could no longer speak, she had lost the sparkle in her eye, and had even forgotten how to smile, but my Mom knew this was my Grandma trying to comfort her the only way she knew how. I cried as I read the beautiful note my Mom had written and I knew how much she loved her and missed her every day. Before my Grandma could no longer speak, she still called me her 'Tiny One.' I know my Mom got to reunite with her parents in Heaven just two short months ago and is able to have the conversations she'd been waiting to have for over 10 years. I can't wait to have a conversation with you again, Mom, I miss you every day.
Grandma & Grandpa Jacoby with my Mom over 30 years ago!

Losing my Mom is by far the hardest thing I've ever had to go through.  The reason I'm posting these stories and sharing memories is because I want people to feel comfortable with their feelings (I cry in public on a regular basis at this point) and know it's ok to hurt and grieve.  I think it's also important to keep someone's spirit alive and remember all the wonderful memories that were created.  I appreciate all the support my family, friends, and even just the passerby have been giving me and will continue to show me as I learn to live without the person who meant more to me than anyone else.  One day at a time <3 

3 comments:

  1. Sad I showed scooter and he's like that's my grandma & grandpa Jacoby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ari! Thanks for showing Scooter (your Dad) this blog! I appreciate it. We had a great Grandma and Grandpa, and you, Michael, and Elias, have a great Grandma & Grandpa with Linda & Dave too. Love and miss you guys!

      Delete
  2. Sad I showed scooter and he's like that's my grandma & grandpa Jacoby

    ReplyDelete