Thursday, April 12, 2012

The 5 Year Spectacled Beatle

Two weeks in a row of being early to Karaoke...yay!  Although, my preparedness didn't really matter because we didn't have enough people to sing for a half hour, but once we got started we had a really steady night!  Lots of great singers, lots of dancing, and even some country!  I spent part of the afternoon trying to find some new songs and material to sing, especially stuff that's out of my comfort zone, like Nirvana or Joe Cocker.  I've been wanting to try The Beatles, 'Oh Darling,' for literally, years, and while finding different covers of it, came across a version done by Sara Bareilles, and I loved some of the changes she made to the song, so I knew I could try something different, and hopefully, could pull it off.  I tried it and felt like it was very successful, a strong song, something the American Idol judges would be proud of, because I made it my own, but still respected the original.  It was a very complimentary night for everyone, Debbie was trying new music and dance moves, and I was trying to put more emotion into the songs, did 'Don't' by Jewel again, and would love to record that song, it's always been one of my favorites, and also did 'Listen to your Heart' by Roxette and 'I'm the Only One' by Melissa Etheridge, both by request!  Most of the crowd that wasn't even singing stayed all night long, so that's always a good sign that we're not turning away, or annoying anyone with the music.  I'm working Friday this week as well, so hopefully, it'll be a busy night and as successful as last night was!

My new specs B)
When I was home at Christmas time I had gone to see the Eye Doctor because I really needed new contacts.  I wear Gas Permeable's and have had mine for as long as I've been living in LA, and perhaps, even longer than that (so at least 6 years), and it was time for a new pair.  I do not have vision insurance so $250, my eyes majorly dilated, and new contacts ordered, prescription in hand, I was out the door.  Eventually I was going to have to pick out new glasses, and those were even older than my contacts!!  So this week I went to Lenscrafters to look for new glasses, and apparently in LA, it's designer or nothing.  After about a half hour, I had looked through all the glasses and had picked out a few pairs, and then a sales associate came to help me with the process, which actually meant, I was buying them that day.  Did she not know I like to browse, think about it, come back with a second opinion, and then buy after a week?  I let go of the control and about an hour later had picked out just the right pair, and an hour after that they were ready and waiting for me...another $250 later, and that was with a 30% discount!  I wonder how much insurance would actually cover and if it would even be worth it.  At the end of the day, I really like my new glasses, they're still classic but updated, and hopefully will last for the next few years!

Tonight, Morgan and I headed over to The Landmark Theater on Pico to see a Pre-Screening of 'The Five Year Engagement' with Jason Segal and Emily Blunt.  Lucky for us we were a half hour so we were able to grab a glass of wine at The Lounge beforehand and catch up.  The movie was just over 2 hours long, and could probably be cut down another 10 or 15 minutes, but was actually really funny!  There were laughs through the whole movie and the supporting actors were also really great.  I think the title of the movie is a little deceiving, because it turns the movie into a negative, one person continually putting off the engagement because he or she doesn't want to get married, but it's actually the opposite.  They both love each other and do want to go through with the wedding, but things keep popping up, and it just keeps getting put off, due to marriages, deaths, job changes, and babies.  There was no gross humor, just good honest comedy, and I'm a huge fan of Jason because of 'How I Met Your Mother' and this gave me even more reason to like Emily Blunt, she's quite funny, and I think her character seemed very much like herself in real life.  I really liked it and would have paid money to see it!

So that's the story of a Girl with Spectacles, seeing 'The Five Year Engagement', after singing some Beatles...The End :p

No comments:

Post a Comment