Tuesday, April 3, 2012

DJ Elle Dubbs

Last night was Round 2 of the Canadian and Saint's & Sinner's Reunion at Irish Times!  I got to the bar and it was packed.  Our whole crew was taking up half the bar, and as I walked in, Truck aka Becky said I saw you on TV today!  What?!?  Apparently, my Kaplan College Commercial is now airing (my first Nationwide Commercial)!  She said she recognized my voice, and then saw me, all grown up and professional.  I'm so excited and when I called to tell my Mom she said she'll be really excited when someone tells her they saw me on TV.   There was lots to celebrate but still no shots for me until this weekend...Carrie was out and we had the whole S&S crew out!  It was great to catch up and see some people I haven't seen in months or even a year!

While I was out earlier at Bru Haus, Troy, the bartender, asked if I knew any Female DJ's, and I had one particular girl in mind that used to DJ at Saint's and was awesome!  He said if we couldn't get her, that he was going to hire some other girl to just push buttons on a laptop.  I said I could do that, and I would love to put together a Rock & Roll/Rockabilly Playlist for Hillybilly Bingo on Tuesday night!  And I was hired :)

It was kind of fun to pull out my old Saint's & Sinner's gear...I grabbed an S&S tank top, my red bandanna, leather boots, jean skirt, white studded belt, and metal cuff.  I was told to dress 80's Trash/Rocker, and while I would never wear all of this together in any other circumstance, I almost feel too old to, it was perfect for tonight!  I got to Bru Haus and it was slower than usual according to the promoter but there a bunch of tables full of people so I was hoping for a fun night.  Once I hooked my laptop up I got started going through some fun and rocking music!  As this was my first time every DJing (I KJ at Gabe's but it's different) because I'm only up here to play music and if it blows, it's my fault!  As I got started and eased into my choices, I found that people were singing along, tapping their toes, and as the night went on, dancing and having a good time!  As Simon would say, it's all about song choice.  But it was actually a lot of fun too!  I'm glad I had taken some time during the day to prep and get a playlist together so I had some ideas and I wasn't coming into the job blind.  Bingo went on for over 2 hours, everyone having more fun as the night went on; there were prizes to win, even a money round where you had to pay $2 to play, and if you got a Bingo X then you won the whole pot so someone took home $84!  Not too bad for hanging out in a bar and having a couple cocktails!

Perhaps my Karaoke Career will turn into a DJ Career as well...hmmm...I might have to think about that one...

No comments:

Post a Comment