Monday, March 5, 2012

What's for Dinner? Part 5.

Gnocchi.  Cheese.  Put them together and make a health-conscious meal in less than 30 minutes?  Yes please!

I found a recipe a couple weeks ago for a Gnocchi Mac & Cheese, and decided to do my own take on it.  I had some asparagus leftover from my soup last week and knew exactly how I wanted to prepare that, and I also did a fun experiment with a Caprese salad.

Here are the ingredients needed for tonight's 'What's for Dinner?'
Gnocci Mac & Cheese with Sausage
1 lb Gnocchi (I found my Gnocchi at Trader Joe's for $1.99!)
2 Apple & Maple Sausages (Once again, got mine from Trader Joe's)
2 Tbsp Margarine
2 Cloves of Garlic
1 Tsp Horseradish Mustard (You could also use Dijon, I just like the kick of Horseradish)
1 Tbsp Flour
3/4 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
1/2 Cup Parmesan/Asiago Cheese Mix
Salt & Pepper 

Lemon Asparagus
12 Asparagus Spears
Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 a Lemon

Caprese Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
3 Cups Arugula
1 Roma Tomato
1/2 a Lemon
2 Tsp Olive Oil
2 Tsp Balsamic Vinegar
Salt & Pepper
Mozzarella Cheese

Baked and Beautiful!
Pre-heat the oven to 375.  To cook the Gnocchi, boil water, throw the dumplings in, and once they rise to the surface, you cook them for another 2 minutes.  Once you drain the water you put the Gnocchi in a baking dish.  I cut 2 sausages into rounds and put them into the dish with the Gnocchi.  While I was preparing my Gnocchi I melted my butter into a pan and added in my garlic.  Then I added the flour and whisked until it bubbled.  I put in the Milk and Mustard next and waited for that to thicken, which was about about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.  I added handfuls of the cheese to my mixture in the pan and stirred, allowing the cheese to melt and create a thicker sauce until all the cheese was added.  Season the sauce with salt and pepper then pour the sauce over the Gnocchi and sausage.  Bake about 25 minutes or until the cheese on top is golden, and then let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Gorgeous Color!
As my cheesy goodness was baking away in the oven I prepared my Asparagus by breaking the ends off, and placing them on a baking sheet.  I drizzled the olive oil over the top and made sure to coat all the asparagus with it.  Then I squeezed half a lemon over the asparagus and roasted them for 12 minutes in the oven with my Gnocchi.

While my main dishes were in the oven I put my salad together.  I put all the arugula into a bowl and added in the lemon, olive oil, and salt, then hand mixed until the lettuce was coated.  The acidity in the lemon really affected the arugula, so make sure to save your salad for the last minute or you'll have a wilted mess.  I then put the lettuce mixture into 2 smaller bowls and cut my roma tomato into rounds.  I placed them on the side of the lettuce and drizzled a teaspoon of balsamic over each set of tomatoes.  Then I sprinkled mozzarella over the top along with fresh black pepper.

Had to have 2 helpings of Gnocchi!
This was probably one of my favorite meals I have ever made!  It was simple, I was able to use a couple of the ingredients in the different recipes, it was low in fat and everything tasted amazing!!  The sausage was a sweet touch a savory pasta dish, the lemon on the asparagus gave it a really nice flavor, and the salad was interesting and fun.  I'll definitely look forward to making this again with different cheeses and add-ins.  And the leftovers were just as good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment