Monday, June 18, 2012

Karaoke, Music, and Reviews

After a very busy week last week, I was excited for a night or two off, especially since I've been sick with a cold!  My problem is, unless I can't move, I have to work-out, and I know it's probably best not to go on a 3 mile run and do 30 minutes of the stairs all in the same day when I'm run down, but I can't help it, it makes me feel better inside :)

I thought Gabe's was going to be slow since there were no big games on TV and that usually brings a crowd to Gabe's to watch the games, but when I got there it wasn't too bad.  We actually got to get started right away and the mood of the evening was a slower ballad kind of night.  There was a Beatles super-set, started by Sean, and that's where my first new song of the evening came in, I did 'Imagine', yes, I know, not a Beatles song, but it's Lennon, and he was in The Beatles.  That was my High School Graduation song that the choir sang and the first time I've sang it since then; it certainly brought back memories, and I got a little choked up on the last verse.  It was around this time 11 years ago that I graduated from High School...wow, how time flies!

It stayed steady all night with performances of Air Supply's 'All Out of Love' and 'Making Love Out of Nothing At All' a ton of Spanish songs, by Silvia, singing Shakira and Selena, and my other new song of the night was 'Addicted' by Kelly Clarkson.  It's been one of my favorite songs for a long time and has such amazing lyrics.  When I'm not sick with a cold, I'll be singing that again because she hits some really fun high notes!  Debbie came in and practiced her songs for the crowd because she had an audition later this week, so she'll be singing 'Conga' at that, shaking her maracas!  Everyone had a fun night and next week will be my Birthday so we'll be celebrating on Wednesday with the Karaoke Crew!

On Thursday night, Neil was playing a show at Universal Bar & Grill in North Hollywood so I went to see that!  I've seen Neil play almost every show he's had since he started back in November and this one had so many fun and new surprises, not to mention, over 20 people showed up to hear him play!  Neil plays mostly originals but I loved how he had played a couple of his songs starting with a well-known cover like 'Unchained Melody' or 'Little Red Corvette.'  The final song of the night was a medley of Britney Spears' 'Baby One More Time' and Journey's 'Don't Stop Believing' which had the whole crowd singing along!  He called this Show his Redemption Tour because of a Music Review in Music Connection Magazine from his show at Trip in Santa Monica a couple months ago (we also sang a song together).  This article helped him play one of his best shows to date proving that he is a fantastic songwriter and the rest is up to you...and guess what, the crowd loved him :)

To see the review, (it's the first time I've been reviewed in the music world as well) check it out here: Neil & Lyndsey's Review in Music Connection Magazine 
Lyndsey & Neil singing at Trip for the Music Connection Magazine Review

No comments:

Post a Comment