Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Live Music Weekend

Bobby, my brother, has been on tour with his band, The Hussy, for almost 2 months now.  On Friday, he was making his way down into southern California, to play at The Redwood Bar & Grill in Downtown Los Angeles.  I was so excited to be seeing him while he was on tour and even more excited to be surprising him with Mom.  He didn't know she was coming out to visit me for the week, and certainly didn't know she would be at his show.  We've been hiding this for months and considering I post tons of stuff on Facebook, I had to be extra careful.  Of course, the first thing Bobby says to Mom is, 'What are you doing here?'  Nice greeting, Bob.  I'm sure it was more out of surprise than being mad and he hugged us both.
Mom & I at Redwood Bar with The Hussy
It was a really important show for him and his band, and they needed to get the car unloaded and everything into the bar for when they played.  They had the 11:30 pm slot and were headlining the show.  The bar was Pirate themed and I really wish I would have been able to try some of the food but Mom and I had Yogurtland before we left for the show so neither of us was hungry.  We caught the end of the first band who was really loud.  The next band didn't start until 10:30 pm so they were running a half hour behind.  They were also a 2 piece band, like The Hussy.  I liked the music, and it was a lot easier on my ears than the first band.  We all got to catch up as we waited for Bobby to get warmed up on-stage.

Khad and Jamie, along with Neil, all showed up to support Bobby and listen to the other bands.  The band right before Bobby reminded me of the Jonas brothers because they all looked alike.  There were 5 people in the band and they didn't even fit on the stage but had tons of energy and some catchy music as well.  The Hussy was up next and we were all very excited.  Bobby's energy on-stage is amazing.  He even did push-ups at one point while Heather was playing her drum solo.  She's an incredible drummer and very funny!  They played a short set, just over 20 minutes, as almost all their songs are under 2 minutes.  They played songs off the new album as well as songs that were on their first.  I was bouncing around and dancing because it's such fun music.  Although, when their set was finished my ears were ringing; it didn't even occur to me how loud they were until after.  

Everyone really liked the music and said it was catchy.  The band after them were a little green and only played a few songs.  After they excited the stage and as the bar was getting ready to close they played some Frank Sinatra which was a nice change of pace from all the loud crazy music for the past 4 hours.  It's definitely a neat thing to say I got to see my brother's band, while they toured the US in my LA home.

Yesterday, was a super fun day with good friends at my friend, Mike's house in Porter Ranch.  There was fun in the sun, water guns, swimming, Beer Pong, great music and lots of dogs running around!  After the party, Neil and I were starving so we decided to go to D'Cache' in Toluca Lake/North Hollywood.  It's a tapas place that Neil has been talking about for almost 2 years now so I was very excited to go.  We drank mojito's while we waited for a table and even when one was ready, Neil declined it.  I didn't know why until 20 minutes later when we were actually sat in a big room with a live band just 10 feet in front of us.  They were playing flamenco style music and there was also a singer.  I let Neil decide on all the tapas, and we ended up having Short Rib Sliders, Shrimp Ceviche, a Mushroom and Cheese dish, Empanada's, and something else that I can't remember.  Oops.  Everything was so good!  During Dinner we got up and danced, clapped along, and watched the band play.  It was such a neat experience and I can't wait to go back again :)
Gemini's Pool Party ;)
So all weekend long I got to listen to awesome live music in great company!  Now that's fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment