Friday, July 6, 2012

Back Behind The Bar and 4th of July Karaoke

I'm finally back behind the bar on a regular basis!  I've been filling in at Irish Times since March and working random shifts but as of now I'll be working on Thursdays from noon until 7 pm!  I'm so glad to have a Bartending job but am obviously still looking for something permanent that I can call home where I can work multiple shifts and start making good money again!

I've been working at Irish Times the past couple Thursdays and Sundays and am starting to get to know the regulars better since I'm here on a more regular basis and can recognize people and their drinks.  There's been the Euro Cup on lately too so I've had a crowd earlier on than usual, and even if it's slow at least it's been steady and kept me going all day long.

Today started out with some excitement...no Guinness tapped and me trying to move the Guinness was I'm sure quite funny.  Thankfully, we had a guy working on the beer taps so he took care of it for me...darn damsel in distress!  That wasn't so bad because as I was opening the bar and our lovely chef was cleaning she happened to throw some water to clean the bathroom and it hit an electrical outlet.  She came running out to get me and as I went to assess the damage saw the smoke, smelled the burning wires, and saw the sparks.  I knew with the water on the ground that would act as a conductor (right?) and would shock us if we tried to wipe the water from the outlet so my first thought was to call the Fire Department just to be safe.  Of course, after telling them it was a Non-Emergency they said they would have to come and check it out as a precaution.  Meanwhile, I'm hoping they don't come with the whole crew, hose in hand, lights and sirens going...I was wrong.  Lights, sirens, 3 Firefighters, and a Manager guy, all dressed in suits.  Luckily, after looking at it with a special camera, everything was fine, and I offered them a beer (hey, they might have saved our lives, I was just trying to be hospitable) before they left.  They declined, but not without a smile and chuckle.  Just another exciting way to start my day :)

On Wednesday, I Hosted Karaoke at Gabe's for Independence Day/4th of July!  I walked into a nearly empty bar but had a great conversation with some friendly gentlemen and around 10 pm a couple Karaoke singers along with Johnny came in to hang out and sing so we got the night started.  While there wasn't a big crowd everyone was happy to have a short rotation and be able to sing more often!

I opened the night with some Beatles because they seemed like the most Patriotic Band that I could sing and we got the evening started.  I sang a bunch of songs I haven't sang in a while and practiced some songs I could use for a Karaoke contest that's going on throughout LA County like 'Mercy' and 'Baby Love.'  Johnny told me about the contest and was also practicing and sang a bunch of new songs.  I don't know if I've ever heard anyone sing Hoobastank, so he sang 'The Reason' for me.  Art did Gene Pitney's, 'Town Without Pity' which is by far one of my favorite songs for him to sing, and just makes me want to dance every time I hear it.  Then around 11 pm a group of my friends came in to sing, who have never been to Gabe's before!  They sang, Guns & Roses, Prince, Stone Temple Pilots, etc. and had so much fun, and did awesome!  I think they'll be back ;)  My new song of the night was 'Everytime We Touch' by Cascada which actually went well for not knowing the song.  It's a fun dance remix so I'll have to do it on a busier night so people get up and dance!
Our 4th of July Celebration ended up being a lot of fun, not too busy, the perfect amount of people, everyone able to sing, and having a good time!  Now if only I would have been able to see some Fireworks...there's always next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment