Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Low-Key Karaoke

It was a week of singing last week at Karaoke!  I worked on both Wednesday and Saturday.  I'm so used to the crowd on Friday's and you would think that it was the same for the Saturday night weekend Karaoke, but it's totally different.

On Wednesday there was just a strange vibe in the air but I couldn't put my finger on it.  The night was fairly quiet and I was glad to have some friends show up as the night went on to keep me busy and entertained.  I sang a couple songs I hadn't sang in a while, like Garbage, Roxette, and even closed the night singing with Khad, 'A Whole New World,' which I don't think I've sang in years!  Khad killed it because he sang new songs all night long, and that's always a challenge.  My new song of the night was Mary J Blige's 'We Ride,' which was much harder than I expected.  She's got long phrasing so breath control was key and with my allergies acting up because of the change in the weather I wasn't at my best.  But I definitely want to try it again!  It's rare that I sing R&B and it's fun to try something different and I'll feel better the night time I sing it, knowing I have it under my belt!  It's always great to have Debbie come in and liven up the night, doing some fun dance moves, making people smile and laugh, and I'm glad that I can keep that fun party vibe going throughout the night with her help!

For Saturday Karaoke, I was filling in for Johnny, who was in Philly for the week.  The bar was pretty empty when I walked in and Karaoke stayed slow all night but the bar filled up a little.  We had a short rotation all night long and got started just before 10 pm since we didn't have enough Karaoke singers until then.  There was one guy who was hilarious, doing an N'Sync song, complete with dancing, and then sang Backstreet Boys by request.  He actually did a really good job and I was impressed.  My new song of the night was The Bangles 'Eternal Flame' which once again will be exciting to try for the second time when I don't have my allergies.  I love that song, and it's crazy because sometimes I forget about all the artists that my parents introduced me to over 20 years ago and The Bangles, Heart, Blondie, Pat Benatar, were a few of the strong female performers I grew up with.  I love my rock & roll.  I'm always happy to get new singers up to the microphone, that want to sing; it keeps them excited to try something new, whether they are good or bad, or just having a good time.  Karaoke's not about being the best singer; it's about having fun doing something that takes confidence, and performing well.  

It was definitely a more low-key week of Karaoke and I have another double week happening this week if I can make it through my busy Wednesday.  But...more on that later...

No comments:

Post a Comment