Saturday, July 28, 2012

What to do in LA!

After being so busy the week before I was excited to have a little more free time this week.  It ended up being a week full of relaxing LA things to do :)

The Getty is one of the main spots to check out if you're visiting from out of town.  It's got incredible views, beautiful gardens, amazing architecture, and ever-changing exhibits.  I could spend hours just walking through the gardens, sitting outside, and taking in the art.  There's no entrance fee to The Getty, you just pay for parking, which went up to $15 since the last time I visited.  There were a couple of new exhibits, a whole section dedicated to Photographer Herb Ritts and there was an Images of Death through the Middle Ages.  The Images of Death Exhibit was interesting, definitely morbid and a little strange, I was happy to move onto a new exhibit and then take a walk around the building to check out the views of LA. I loved the Herb Ritts Exhibit, I just wish that I would have been able to see all of it, but The Getty closes at 5:30 pm so I couldn't finish my walk-through or even get into The Gardens.  What a bummer!  I guess I'll just have to go back soon!
Messerschmidt & Klimt at The Getty...getting my face on!
Dine LA is always one of my favorite times of the year here in LA.  Basically, it's Restaurant Week, where they have Prix Fix Menu's (set appetizer, entree, and dessert) for a set price based on the average price of a meal.  It's still a way better deal than just ordering off the menu and gives you an opportunity to try new things.  I hit up Gaucho Grill which was an Argentinian Restaurant and of course, I still kept it slightly Italian by starting with a Caprese Salad, then choosing a Steak with White Wine and Mushrooms (that also came with mashed potatoes and more vegetables) and then a Chocolate & Caramel Crepe.  The salad was amazing, probably my favorite part of the meal.  The steak was good, but yet again, I've been reminded why I always get the Filet; it's the best, and whatever the steak was, was tough, over-done, and didn't have the flavor.  The sauce and mushrooms were excellent though!  The dessert was ok, just not my thing, but I didn't want flan, and that was the only other choice.  I'm never one for ice cream at a restaurant but since that came with the crepe I actually enjoyed that more.  I would definitely go back again and try other things on the menu but I'd get a Filet if I chose a steak and insist on Medium Rare.

When my Family and I were in California YEARS ago we made our way up the PCH because it was the best and most scenic drive.  Since I moved to LA over 6 years ago, it's very rare for me to drive that way because there's usually traffic and I'm not a big beach person.  I was so glad that I got a chance to do that yesterday because it was perfect!  On Wednesday I actually sat by the ocean and watched the waves come crashing in; it was so peaceful and relaxing and quiet, which is exactly what I needed.  Then on Friday when I drove up the Coast past the beautiful houses, Malibu, restaurants, into the mountains and looked down at the ocean behind me, it was stunning.  Once again, the silence was so peaceful and fresh air was incredible to breathe.  I definitely need to do that more often.  A lot of those restaurants do Happy Hour and getting to take in the sunset with a glass of wine in my hand sounds pretty awesome!
The view from the top of Las Flores Drive
While I'm a dive bar kind of gal; I love feeling comfortable in a place that isn't crowded, has a great bartender, and good people it's a nice change of pace to try new places.  I've been going to The Other Room in Venice for years.  It's a wine and beer bar and while it's pretty quiet during the week it gets packed on the weekends, especially when it's on First Friday's (which is the first Friday of the month and the restaurants do specials and stuff).  As I got there with my group of friends and there was a line already started at 10:45 pm we waited a few minutes and then got in.  There were a couple seats scattered throughout the bar, but not enough for four people so we all kind of split up.  Nowadays, I'm a red wine drinker, but with my brand new white top on, there was no way I was spilling on it the first day I wore it!  I ordered a glass of Riesling and it was one of the best I've ever had!

With work and my excursions this week, I've kept busy and it's been wonderful.  Sometimes it's nice to be a tourist even though I now consider myself an LA resident.

No comments:

Post a Comment