Sunday, February 19, 2012

What's for Dinner? Part 3.

On Saturday Night I wanted to do a nice big Dinner, something special, because it had been so long since I cooked something 'fancy.'  First I set the apartment with candles, grabbed some of the petals off my roses, scattered them on the table and put on the Swingers & Standards Music Channel on TV.  Then I started cooking...

The Set Up!
*I picked those little white and purple flowers when I left Church on Saturday Night and they are currently making my apartment smell amazing!*  

I wanted a Mexican Feast, so I decided to make Chicken Fajita's with Spanish Rice, Corn, a Salad to start, and also needed dessert, so I baked a Cake. 

Here are the ingredients needed for tonight's "What's For Dinner?'
Chicken Fajita's
1 Lb Chicken Breast
1/2 an Onion
1 Bell Pepper
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Water
Fajita Seasoning
Tortilla's

I bought Del Monte canned Corn because I was looking for a specific flavor.  Normally, I would steam corn or use frozen, but the canned Corn fit my meal.  I also got Rice A Roni's Whole Grain Spanish Rice and just followed the recipe. 

For my Salad I used both Arugula and Butter Lettuce, topped with Mushrooms, and did a Catalina Dressing to keep with my Mexican idea.  I just looked it up, and Catalina derives from a Kingdom in Spain.  Pretty cool and glad it fit with my theme :)

Chicken, Peppers, and Onions sizzling away!
I cut my chicken breasts into strips and then heat a pan and put my olive oil in, once it was warm, I added my chicken which sizzled away.  Luckily, I had my apron on, so I wasn't getting spattered by the hot oil.  While the chicken was cooking, I cut both a yellow and orange bell pepper in half, used a half from each, and cut those into strips.  I also cut an onion in half and chopped it.  Make sure the chicken is cooked completely, and no longer pink before you add the water, fajita seasoning, and your vegetables.  I let that cook for a few minutes, so the vegetables were still crisp, but everything had taken on the fajita seasoning and had a great flavor.  Then I loaded a tortilla with my fajita fixings, along with some Mexican Cheese and Sour Cream.  It was a fairly simple meal but I was glad to try something different and out of my comfort zone.

A Mexican Feast!
Good Cake.
My water glasses are actually from a Sushi Restaurant and originally Sake was in them.  They've got a beautiful Japanese design on the inside! 

My cake was a Pillsbury Yellow Cake Mix and Pillsbury Milk Chocolate Frosting.  Why fix what isn't broke ;)  One of these days I'm sure I'll figure out a great recipe for cake and frosting, but with minimal time, I needed a meal that was going to be fairly quick and simple.  I added Sweet Tarts Hearts to the top to make it special.

Another successful and delicious Dinner that was actually very healthy and I was really glad to enjoy my leftovers today!

No comments:

Post a Comment