Sunday, January 26, 2014

Dine LA and Karaoke on Wednesday

I got another Dine LA experience on Wednesday afternoon when I took myself out to Lunch at 2117 just down the street from me on Sawtelle.  I'd read this menu on Dine LA over the past couple of years and looked forward to a fun little Lunch on my own.

2117 is an Asian Fusion restaurant and the menu looked really interesting and seemed reasonably priced so I thought I would check it out.  I don't dine out alone very often but I wasn't worried about it at all until I felt like the waitress was looking at me a little funny and everyone else was sitting in groups.  Overall, the waitress was on top of re-filling my water but never once asked how anything was so that was a little discouraging.  I ordered the Japanese Tai Snapper Carpacchio, the Crispy Cilantro-Crusted Wild Mexican Shrimp, and then the XO Brandy Creme Brulee.  While the Snapper tasted delicious and was a generous portion, the presentation was a little messy and the green color wasn't necessarily appetizing.  The waitress told me the Shrimp was going to be spicy and I said that was great, but when it came, it wasn't spicy at all, and I felt the description and title of the Shrimp made it seem much more up-scale when it was just shrimp tempura.  The shrimp was ok but the risotto/rice was really good and a nice compliment to it.  The Creme Brulee was my favorite part, it was creamy and had a great sweet flavor.  This meal was $20 and I felt like I got my money's worth but nothing wowed me and it's not someplace I would suggest to anyone and that's a bummer.
Dine LA Lunch at 2117
On Wednesday night I hosted Karaoke at Gabe's and started the night with 'When I'm Gone,' by 3 Doors Down which was my new song last week.  I then did 'Promises In The Dark' by Pat Benatar but switched it up to The Supreme's singing one of my favorites, 'Baby Love.'  I was feeling the rock vibe so I did 'November Rain' by Guns & Roses and also 'Every Breath You Take' by The Police which was my best performance of that.  My new song of the night was Lady Gaga's 'Bad Romance' which was a lot of fun to sing and a good challenge to myself with the wordiness of the song in addition to low and high parts that need a lot of power behind them.  I closed out the night with 'Run' by Leona Lewis because I couldn't even remember the last time I sang that.  It's a difficult song but I lowered the key which helped.  It was a busy night filled with lots of singers and some strong song choices!

It really was a fun night of Karaoke and a nice little lunch date for myself on a good ol' Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment