Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Dine LA starts at La Vecchia!

One of my resolutions was to eat at new restaurants or try new Happy Hours at least once a month.  In trying new things, I hit up La Vecchia in Santa Monica last night for one of my favorite times of the year, Dine LA.  Restaurant Week comes twice a year for a week or two and I joke with friends that this is what I save money for; I don't need a new purse, or pair of heels, I want an incredible dining experience.  La Vecchia proved to be just right.

Dine LA is offered at restaurants throughout Los Angeles and it's a three-course prix fixe menu.  At lunch, and depending on the price of food and location, prices are $15, $20, or $25 and at dinner, they're $25, $35, or $45.  La Vecchia was $35 per person without tax and gratuity, and was a steal considering my entree alone was valued at $49!

Let's get to the food!  I started with the Insalta Di Burrata which was heirloom tomatoes, fresh burrata cheese, proscuitto, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and basil.  I've tried proscuitto in the past and I'm not really a big fan and after trying it again last night, I'm still not into it.  But the burrata, tomatoes, and basil were so fresh and delicious, that was all I wanted and it was very satisfying.
Look at that burrata!
For my second course I was debating on getting the Filet with a leek and mushroom port wine sauce but decided on a traditional Italian meal getting the Gnocchi Ai Funghi Porcini E Vitello Con Tartuffo.  Breaking that down, it was the fluffiest, tiny little delicious pillows of gnocchi which was house-made, porcini mushrooms and a cream sauce, with sauteed veal and fresh shaved Italian black winter truffles.  The Chef, Mark Mollica, came over to the table to check on the meal and said he didn't want to waste the truffle and would I mind if he shaved the rest onto my plate.  I know how valuable a truffle is so I certainly didn't want it to go to waste and appreciated every little bit of it.  I'm not totally sure but I believe this was my first time eating veal and while the pieces were pretty small, I thought it tasted similar to chicken.  Overall, the entree was absolutely fabulous.
So many truffles covering the perfect gnocchi...
Next up it was time for dessert.  I knew as soon as I had scoped out the place on-line I was ordering the Molten Chocolate Cake which really needs no description.  It was as incredible as you could dream it to be.  As soon as I spooned out my first piece, the chocolatey goodness melted out and it was the perfect way to end the meal!
Perfection.
My overall thoughts about the meal, ambiance, and staff, are good.  The food was excellent and the server was sweet and attentive.  She was from Wisconsin so I always have an instant connection with my Midwestern peeps.  I thought it was great that the Chef came out to check on the meal and topped off my plate with extra truffles.  Plus, his presentation was impeccable.  Because it was extremely busy as this was the first day for Dine LA, the restaurant was packed, and you were sitting pretty close to the neighboring tables.  When I go again, I'll request the table right next to the front window.  Initially, there was no Host, but I believe it was the Manager who came over, and said he'd be back in five minutes.  I had made a reservation so I wish he would have asked right away versus brushing us off, and I watched the two women who had come in after me, stand waiting at the front door for at least five minutes more before they were seated.  Later on I had another conversation with him after the restaurant had almost emptied out and he was a little abrupt and not very friendly which was slightly disappointing but that wouldn't stop me from coming back.

This sets the bar for the rest of my Dine LA experiences this week and it's going to be tough to match :)

No comments:

Post a Comment