Monday, January 20, 2014

One-Hit Wonder Show & Karaoke

Last year I saw my friend, Andy, at The Falcon Theater performing a Troubadour Show called Rudolph the Red-Nosed ReinDoors which was a tribute to The Doors with the story-telling of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.  This last Sunday I got to see an awesome theater show, Walking in a One-Hit Wonderland, thanks to my friend, Andy, who was in the show.  It had plenty of one-hit wonders and a story that centered around the Winter Warlock. 
 
I was lucky to get tickets to the Wonderland show considering they were selling out fast.  This year's show had a lot more improv and we got to see Andy more so I was very excited.  It was about a 90 minute show that included singing, acting, dancing, crowd participation and fun.  This was their 10th anniversary so they played clips from the past 10 years which was really neat.  On top of your favorite one-hit wonders, Andy was on stilts, the Winter Warlock was on stilts, there were stunts performed, some "alcohol consumption" and the story of three ghosts visiting Winter who wanted to quit the business but decided that everyone wanted her around and Christmas just wasn't the same without her.  It's always a happy ending when it comes to a Troubadour show!  It was also awesome to recognize some of the same actors from the last show :)
 
This past week at Karaoke had a little late 90's early 2000's vibe.  It was pretty quiet, even for a Wednesday night, so I opened with 'You Know I'm No Good' by Amy Winehouse and then got into a Fiona Apple song with 'Criminal.'   I switched over to the guys, doing 'Mr. Jones' by The Counting Crows and since I had just seen 3 Doors Down the previous night at The House Of Blues, my new song of the night was, 'When I'm Gone' which went really well and is right in my range.  I got one more female song in, doing 'You Were Meant for Me' which I haven't done in a while and then swapped back to the dudes.  We had a little Tom Petty super-set going so I did 'You Got Lucky' and this went much better than the last time I did it quite some time ago.  I closed out the night with 'Everything I Do, I Do It For You,' by Bryan Adams.  If there had been more people there I think the theme would have been a lot of fun so I'll have to bring it back another time.

I think we need a One-Hit Wonder night at Karaoke...coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment